Signature Guarantee

Posted Sun October 12, 2008 1:18 pm, by Shirley S. written to Bank of America

I visited one of your bank of America branches in North Port Florida with the intention of having my signature guaranteed on a form that was sent to me by Apple Bank for Savings. On this form, Apple Bank for Savings required a "signature guarantee" stamped to prove that this in fact is my signature. I went there and one of the bank employees said that she will NOT stamp the letter because they cannot prove that this account exists. I told her to contact the bank to prove that this is an actual account, she said that she cannot call the bank. I don't understand why she couldn't pick up the phone, call the bank and verify that the account number and account holders are indeed listed on this account. On the form, that was sent stated to "please call with any questions" which Apple Bank for Savings would have then provided such proof. I was very frustrated that this could not be done. I have been back and fourth with this situation, one manager states "I need some type of form so that it can be stamped with the signature guarantee stamp" I then contacted Apple Bank for Savings, who sent to my attention such form to be stamped. The next day I went back to Bank of America when one of your employees refused to help me. I visited Regions Bank another branch who indeed said that Bank of America could have done this. They also said that your employees need to be educated on the definition of what a "Signature Guarantee" is. I am going to close my account with Bank of America because they refused to help me and send me away without assisting me.

Educate your employees on what a Signature Guarantee is.

by Donno Posted Sun October 12, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

And you say you are a customer, so I see no reason this could not be
accomplished. I have had many signature guarantees done, and no bank
officer has ever asked to verify an account(s) referred to by the
authenticated document actually exists. I think BoA screwed up, but
dropping your account over this seems a bit extreme if all that is
required is some education.

by Bill R. Posted Sun October 12, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

I copy/pasted this from the site listed below:

If a financial institution is not a member of a recognized Medallion
Signature Guarantee Program (such as an overseas bank located outside
of North America), it would not be able to provide signature
guarantees. Also, if you are not a customer of a participating
financial institution, it is likely the financial institution will not
guarantee your signature. Therefore, the best source of a Medallion
Guarantee would be a bank, savings and loan association, brokerage
firm, or credit union with which you do business.

BillR.