An unexpected charge on a credit card

Posted Tue May 27, 2003, by Estelle K. written to Bloomingdale's

I would like to bring your attention to a complaint I have about the experience at your department store, located at Bridgewater Commons. Specifically, I'm writing about credit/charge information on my monthly statement. I hope you have resolved this situation.

My most recent Bloomingdales account statement had a charge for "CT Hotline 800-645-5859, amounting to $69.99." I had no recollection of such a charge. A phone call to the company revealed that this was the fee for an information service I had not ordered. A representative, who gave his name and a confirmation number, assured me the charge would be removed.

I visit Bloomingdale's less than once a month. Here's what I'd like to see happen: Use greater efforts to be certain that customers are not hit with services they did not order. What happened here is akin to "slamming," where a long-distance telephone company transfers the identity of one's carrier without permission. I hope that this is not to be a regular practice by Bloomingdale's.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.