Bright Horizon Management Out Of Control

Posted Fri March 9, 2012 12:00 pm, by Michael A. written to Bright Horizons Family Solutions

To Whom It May Concern:

I am contacting you today on behalf of my wife, an employee at your location inside the IRS building in Washington, DC - otherwise known as the National Office Child Development Center. Since Bright Horizons took over the facility at this location from the previous operator, every day at work has been a recurring nightmare for my wife. One thing after another has lead us both to wonder if the people in charge there have a personal problem with her.

This center was previously operated by Knowledge Learning Corporation (now Knowledge Beginnings) aka KLC. When GSA awarded a new contract to BH for the location, the employees were asked to decide whether they would remain onboard or seek work elsewhere. My wife chose to stay, figuring the promised pay raise and new company would provide a better work environment. It hasn't. She has been cornered and reprimanded in front of her co-workers, accused without proof of things she hasn't done, and relegated to the roaming diaper changer for $15 an hour. She has a Master's in Education - more education than anyone else on the staff at this location - and is being treated like a doormat when she took the job as an assistant teacher when the place was operated by KLC and run by another individual. The promised pay raise came weeks ago, and was a mere eight cents per hour in my wife's case! Not only is this all unfair and demeaning, it's absurd! Eight cents? More recently, she was put on a so-called "Succession Plan" by the center's Director after expressing a desire to learn more so she could transfer out and work at a location closer to home. This "Succession Plan" consisted of the director pushing her around day after day and making her take care of all the busy work and dirty diapers in the place. When the end date arrived, she had not been trained to do anything new, had been given no opportunity to learn new skills, and was doing nothing different from what she had done before the "Succession Plan" started. To me, that's no "Succession Plan." It blatantly says "you're a warm body and I'll do what I want with you." Is this how your directors are supposed to control their staff? Fantastic management skills, aren't they?

A few weeks ago, we found out my wife has a pretty serious medical issue (a kidney problem). The director and her assistant did not react well to hearing my wife would need to take a few days off from work, and have called her a hypocondriact to her face on more than one occasion, and given her a mouthful of inconsiderate talk about how it's an "inconvenience" to management for her to not be at work. She's sick! Talk about unprofessional conduct! The assistant director also ignored a note from my wife's doctor and demanded she show up at work, note or not.

Recently, my wife called me to let me know she'd been told she was now forbidden from seeking a transfer because she was unable to prevent a child from hurting themself while she was watching a group in the classroom. She was then basically told she should just resign and go. If she is going to be ridiculed and pushed around, I cannot see why she would want to work there and I wouldn't blame her if she resigned! If they expect her to be perfect, that's asking too much. My wife may not be the best teacher on Earth but she cannot be Wonder Woman either! Nobody can prevent every bad thing from happening. It's part of life! Holding her hostage from increasing her income from a paltry $15 per hour is inappropriate also. It should not be up to someone else if my wife feels like finding a new job. She's a US citizen. She has the right to work anywhere that will have her and nobody, including her current boss, has the right to stop her from trying to do so.

Frankly, something should be done about the management staff at this location. If I have to interject myself into the situation and personally contact the director, she will not be pleased with the things I have to say about her behavoir or her management style. Bullying your employees and preventing them from making a living is no way to manage. Singling one out for whatever reason is not only inappropriate and unprofessional, it's illegal! I won't have it and my wife won't stand for it. This director should be very thankful I'm not her boss. I would've fired her months ago had I found out about this behavior. It's a poor representation of a reputable company, and I can't imagine why Bright Horizons would want someone who acts like this to be in such a high position.

by Kitty K. Posted Wed March 14, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Look up the FMLA (Family & Medical Leave Act). I think her employers
are violating this federal law. If her doctor will fill out the FMLA
papers stating that she is under his care for a chronic health
problem, her employer MUST let her take time off. However, it will
most likely be unpaid time.

And also, chill out. If you go in there and cause a scene, she's going
to lose her job. Get a grip, and go check out the FMLA.

"if you go in there" - it's inside the IRS building in DC. I doubt he's getting in by PepperElf Thu March 15, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

True. by Kitty K. Thu March 15, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

by PepperElf Posted Mon March 12, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I'd also like to know how the child hurt themselves under her watch.

I know the OP's trying to make it sound like his wife shouldn't be
blamed for it but... she's the adult in charge therefore their safety
IS her responsibility.

Saying "it wasn't my fault" might not be the right answer depending on
how badly the kid was hurt.

Edit - just noticed the phrase "IRS" and "DC" by PepperElf Mon March 12, 2012 @ 3:01 PM
by hussyinterrupted Posted Mon March 12, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Good lord. I hope you realize you are probably getting your wife fired
right now.

First off, she's an adult. She can and should fight her own battles.

Secondly, she's shared information with you that she probably
shouldn't have. Most couples share these kinds of things but most
couples also know that these4 aren't things that are talked about in
public and especially online. Most companies have clauses in their
employment terms that say you can not discuss company business outside
of company walls. A guy I worked with was fired for telling his
fiance something about something work related that happened with his
boss. His fiance posted a rant about it on facebook and it got back
to management. He was immediately terminated.

Good job there, buddy.

A good lesson by RedheadwGlasses Mon March 12, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

by PepperElf Posted Sun March 11, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

In reality they don't have to listen to you. And since your wife is
an adult they cannot discuss her employment status with you.

And if you go there in person... most likely they'll ask you to leave.
And call the cops if you refuse.

child development centers are very strict about who gets access inside
the building.

and perhaps most importantly...
"right to work" =/= "cannot ever be fired"

after all, you yourself have listed other employees you'd fire. they
have a right to work too

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Sun March 11, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

what the hell are you doing? Your wife is an adult. Let her fight
her own battles. It would ENRAGE me to find my spouse had sent such a
letter on my behalf.

by tali Posted Fri March 9, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I don't think you should be writting on behalf of your wife. The thing
to do is for HER to keep a record of slights and poor management
skills and unprofessional conduct (reprimand in front of others), etc.
This creates a document that she will be able to take to Human
Resources. With this documentation in hand, including the doctor's
note and instructions, there should be some resolve. If not perhaps
the lawyer route would be next. Keep good and accurate records. Good
Luck.

by McJohn Posted Fri March 9, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I wonder if the other employees's husbands are writing letters to the
company complaining about how they manage. This could be the reason
they dont like her

doesn't compute by InsaneShadow Sat March 10, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

Im sure if he complains once by McJohn Sat March 10, 2012 @ 6:00 PM
by Steve OH (IO) Posted Fri March 9, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

by Lisa H. Posted Fri March 9, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I do appreciate your feeling defensive/protective of your wife, I
don't think things like this will help her:

"If I have to interject myself into the situation and personally
contact the director, she will not be pleased with the things I have
to say about her behavoir or her management style."

I suspect your doing so would just become one more thing they can use
against your wife. I think it sounds like time to just cut her looses
and leave. Some jobs just aren't worth it.

by Back_n_TX Posted Fri March 9, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

A admire you for wanting to stand up for your wife.

Unless your wife is not of legal age, however, the business has
absolutely no obligation to deal with you in regards to your wife's
employment. In fact, most businesses will refuse to deal with a
spouse out of concern over privacy issues (they could be sued if they
told you something your wife doesn't want you to know). I'd be
absolutely shocked if they even ackowledge the receipt of your
complaint.

Any organization can have rules and restrictions on people
transferring within the organization. It's quite legal.

Your wife needs to explore the HR options she has within the
organization to file a formal complaint. If there is bias based on
gender, medical, or otherwise protected statuts/classifications, she
might have a legal case. A boss being a jackass, however, is not
actionable.

Best of luck to you folks. I'd suggest that she just find somewhere
else to work.

sure... by InsaneShadow Fri March 9, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Then that is between by MA Bellamy Sun March 11, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Presumptuous aren't we? by InsaneShadow Mon March 12, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

It's not TELLING you ANYTHING by MA Bellamy Mon March 12, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

You are right by Irving Patrick Freleigh Mon March 12, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

"Please don't presume you have the right to tell others how to behave." by MA Bellamy Mon March 12, 2012 @ 4:08 PM