Captain D's Gumbo

Posted Sun October 21, 2007 12:20 pm, by Carol C. written to Captain D's Restuarant

I bought a bowl of the gumbo yesterday and when I looked at it, I knew something was different. The picture of the gumbo the order counter showed okra and good sized shrimp in a savory looking roux. What I got was a bowl of what looked like bad gravy with minced vegetables, unidentifiable, tiny pieces of brown meat and one tiny shrimp about 1/8" in diameter. Nothing at all like the gumbo Captain D's used to sell. After one bite, I returned the gumbo to the clerk at the counter, told her why and got money back. I'd like to point out that she was very nice and accomodating and told me that the ingredients had, indeed, been changed. So now the gumbo is not only more like spicy Alpo, it costs ten cents more. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Captain D's so-called gumbo. My suggestion is to go back to the original recipe which included good-sized shrimp and lots of the imitation crab meat...like in the picture at the counter. That picture, I think, is NOT representative of what the customer is served.

by Dorothy Culp Posted Tue January 8, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

I've heard some of the Captain D's are closing and have to wonder if
the quality of the food and lack of good customer service has to do
with the closings.

by ~Fiâi-la-âlea~ Posted Tue October 23, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

This letter is good, except the Alpo comment though LOL. If they
changed the menu they should update their advertisement photos too.
Maybe they will consider your suggestion if they get enough complaints
about the new recipe.

by chuk Posted Mon October 22, 2007 @ 3:44 AM

Its been my experience in most restaurants that feature a picture menu
that the food rarely looks like the picture.

Captain Ds Gumbo.... by jwilson38122 Tue December 14, 2010 @ 3:44 PM