My terrible experience with a Chase personal banker

Posted Thu January 21, 2010 10:54 pm, by Koon C. written to Chase Bank

I am extremely furious at how I was treated by Jumah, a personal banker, at the Chase branch located at 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza in NYC. On Jan 11, I visited this branch to make payments for my safe deposit box for the 2010-2011 period. I met with Jumah, who gave the responsibility for processing the transaction to Tara, a customer service representative at the branch. At the time, he had informed me that I was up-to-date with my safe deposit box rental. Several days later, I received a letter from Chase indicating that I had to pay a fee on my safe deposit box rental. I did not understand the reason for the fee, so on Jan 20, I visited the branch again. Jumah sent me to Tara in order to have the matter sorted out. Tara printed out a transaction history from her computer. When I asked her if I could take a look at it, she refused stating that it was the bank's copy and confidential. Tara concluded that she would need to call a Chase information center to sort out this matter. She told me that she would contact me later in the day regarding her findings. Later in the day, Tara told me via phone that she did research and determined I had not paid for my safe deposit box for 2008. I did not quite understand her since I first opened the safe deposit box in 2008, which would have required me to make a payment at that time. That night, I found bank statements indicating that I had made my payments for my safe deposit box for 2008. On Jan 21, I re-visited the branch to discuss the matter again. I met with Jumah, only this time, he was much more confrontational. In a condescending and rude tone, he told me that I needed to pay a late fee of $10 for my safe deposit box for the 2009 term. When I asked why Tara had not told me this information yesterday, he said "Don't worry about it. This is what is from the computer." in a condescending manner. Then, he had the audacity to say that I was arguing with him over $10. I told Jumah that I was more upset that Tara had misinformed me about my charges to my safe deposit box rental. Jumah immediately countered, "Don't be rude.". At that point, I was very agitated and furious by his accusation. I have banked with Chase since 2007, and encouraged my husband to close his Citibank account in order to open an account with Chase. In addition, in 2009, we took out a mortgage loan with Chase to purchase our first home. Despite all of this, this Chase employee had the nerve to accuse a customer for being rude and of arguing over a measly $10. Jumah has managed to make my experience with Chase miserable. I felt degraded and insulted by him.

1) Chase should offer customer training courses to Jumah at the Chase branch located at 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza. (It is totally unacceptable to accuse customers of being rude.)

2) Chase should retrain Tara on how to answer a customer's questions. I did not understand why it took so long for a simple question to be answered, and why it required so many attempts to have the correct answer.

3) Chase can begin to repair our relationship by offering to cancel the $10 fee. My future with Chase will depend heavily on how Chase resolves this situation.

by Chasehunter Posted Sun July 3, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

if that happened to me, I would simply find another bank. I know there
are many banks in new york city that offer safe deposit boxes.

by john d. Posted Fri January 29, 2010 @ 1:44 AM

Don't be so cheap! give me your account# and I will give you $10. By
the way, those two people might have lost their jobs because of you!!!
Are you happy now?

by Eddie M. Posted Fri January 22, 2010 @ 4:17 PM

"Tara printed out a transaction history from her computer. When I
asked her if I could take a look at it, she refused stating that it
was the bank's copy and confidential"

If a company I do business with tells me I owe them money and then
refuses to show me their records of my transactions because they are
confidential I find another company to do business with.

"1)..(It is totally unacceptable to accuse customers of being rude.)"

No its not. If the customer is being rude the rep has every right to
tell them to stop.

However based on your version of the story I don't think you were
rude, so the rep was out of line.

by Donno Posted Thu January 21, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

As you said, it is a measly $10. Did you not pay it before leaving?