Request for reconsideration of credit card application

Posted Thu July 14, 2016 2:56 pm, by Nicholas M. written to Citibank N A

I recently applied for the Citi AT&T Access More credit card and was unfortunately denied. This was disappointing as I have an extremely high credit score, an existing relationship with Citi, and stellar credit history (never had a late payment, extremely low credit utilization, always pay my balance in full, etc.). The reason for the denial given was "too many recent credit inquiries."

While it's true that I have a higher than average number of recent credit inquiries, there is a very reasonable explanation for all that. I recently started a new job in the management consulting industry requiring a lot of travel. As such, I applied for several airline, hotel, and travel related credit cards to take advantage of my excellent credit and gain valuable travel perks. Citi, unfortunately, denied me solely on the relatively high number of inquiries without considering why. I called their reconsideration department hoping to explain the situation, even offering to move existing credit lines around so that that they would not have to extend me any new credit. However, they were unwilling to work with me and would not budge. It seems that Citi does not value my business.

I would like Citi to reasonably reconsider my application and approve my credit application. I am willing to provide any additional information that may help my case. If it helps, I am willing to move existing credit lines that I have with Citi around so that they do not need to extend me any new credit.