Delta Should Pay for Repairs to My Broken Laptop

Posted Tue May 5, 2009 12:00 pm, by Brett L. written to Delta Air Lines

I had a problem with my carry-on bag on a flight from St Louis to Atlanta (Flight # 5805). On the flight to St Louis I took my laptop bag on the plane with me and it fit nicely under the seat. On the return flight the attendant at the gate came around to everyone and informed us that we had to check all bags plane side. I told her that I took it on the plane before but she was very rude and didn't want to hear it. I had no choice but to put the tag on my bag and check it (Plane side Valet Baggage Tag # 182906).

After landing in Atlanta I retrieved my bag and headed home (3 hours away by car). Once I was home I took my laptop out of the bag and realized the hinge and plastic around the LCD screen were cracked. I immediately went to Delta's website and called the 800 number listed for baggage claim. I was informed that they would note my account and I needed to bring it in to any airport with Delta and they would handle it.

The next morning I drove to Augusta, GA and took it to the Delta counter and explained what happened. I was informed by a lady wearing a Delta SUPERVISOR name tag with a large Delta sign behind her head that they were not Delta and she could not help me. She also informed me that even though I bought a Delta ticket that I didn't fly Delta. Finally after some talking she said she would look on the internet and see if she could find me a baggage claim form to fill out. She gave me a Delta Property Loss Claim form and I told her I didn't lose anything so this form was not going to do me any good. She finally went in her computer and filed a DELTA claim for me (File Reference ATLDL50550).

When she handed me a copy of it I noticed that it said Claim Denied and I asked what that was for. She said it was because she just did a courtesy claim because they are not Delta. She gave me the 800 number for Delta (same number that told me to bring it to the airport) and informed me I should call them. I called them from my car and they told me that she filed a claim and denied it because they don't cover electronics. I explained what happened to this lady and she informed me to fill out the Property Loss Claim form and fax it in and I should hear something in 14 - 16 weeks but they don't cover electronics. So basically I'm just stuck with paying for the repairs out of pocket for a laptop I was forced to check plane side. I just spoke with Dell and it is going to cost $199 to repair the laptop and I will be without it for 2 weeks.

This laptop is 4 weeks old and based on the fact that I was forced to check it I would like Delta Air Lines to pay for the repairs.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Wed May 6, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

I've never heard of this! I NEVER use the overhead bins -- I am
always able to put my bag under the seat in front of me. THat's just
nuts. I think they should either repair your laptop to your
satisfaction, or buy you a new one.

I think that detail is missing by Donno Wed May 6, 2009 @ 7:32 PM
by jeishere Posted Wed May 6, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

I've never been on a flight where they make you check everything. Did
the ladies have to check their purses?

I definitely think they need to pay for repairs.

Purses by RedheadwGlasses Wed May 6, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

I think they are cracking down on this... by jeishere Wed May 6, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

by Nate! Posted Tue May 5, 2009 @ 8:27 PM

The confusion may have stemmed from the fact that Northwest and Delta
are in the process of merging. All Northwest ticket counters have been
rebranded as delta, but they still operate separately in many regards.
That may be why she was "not Delta". Although her explanation may not
have been clear, it sounds like she did her best.

The fact that everything was required to be checked was strange... Was
this a Delta Employee, Northwest Employee, or a Pinnacle Airlines
Employee (The airline you actually flew on)? It may be extremely
confusing as all three entities are branded as one but all separate.
You did the right thing by filing a claim. If they refuse to honor it,
you may be out of luck. I doubt you will get a refund as you mention.
I would spend the $200 and switch airlines.

by Harley Has A New Cat Posted Tue May 5, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

I don't understand. Did you have both a carry on and a laptop or just
the laptop? I know sometimes they will allow both and sometimes they
don't due to space issues.

by Donno Posted Tue May 5, 2009 @ 10:35 AM

Delta's baggage damage policy has these exceptions (as well as
others):

~Fragile or perishable items damaged during transport
~Items unsuitably packed or unsuitable for transportation

If I was planning to carry on a bag, I wouldn't have my laptop
protected the same way as if I was planning to check it.

If someone made me unexpectedly check it at the last moment, I think I
would take the laptop out and insist on carrying it. I am guessing
your carry on bag was larger than a laptop carrying bag, or briefcase.
I've never heard of being denied carrying those items on board. This
is an unfortunate situation, but I think you are not going to prevail.
Good luck though.