Deposit on a direct-billed card?

Posted Fri October 13, 2006 4:25 pm, by Kim G. written to Enterprise Rent-A-Car

And I am not only complaining to Enterprise, but to all car rental companies in general.

This policy just doesn't seem fair to me. I was rear-ended on Sept. 25. The man who hit me was issued a ticket, and his insurance company, Allstate, is paying for the entire repair, and a rental car. A reservation was made with Enterprise, and I confirmed my pick-up date of Oct 13. I did not think to ask about leaving any deposits, as this was direct-billed to Allstate.

When I tried to pick up the car, I was asked for a credit card deposit. "Why, when this is direct billed?" I was told it was Enterprise policy, and they wanted to put a $200 hold on my card. No way, and even after an offer of reducing it to $100, I refused the car and left.

As it turns out, there are almost NO rental car agencies that will rent you a direct-billed car without requesting a credit card deposit. I don't understand this. I'm not paying for the car. Allstate is. Why should I tie up funds on my credit card, for an unknown period of time, for something I am not responsible for? If you all think I am wrong about this, please tell me. But even Allstate doesn't understand this policy.

I am still trying to work out a rental with some car company. Now, I can't even reach the local Enterprise office to try and request a lower deposit amount. "The voice mailbox is full". What kind of busines practice is this?

I want Enterprise, and all car rental agencies, to change this policy. What if the renter had no credit card, or didn't have enough to pay this charge? It isn't like I am renting the car because I want to. I'm renting it because I have to, and it is being paid by a company that has been around for a long time. And I am surely not the only person who needs an insurance-paid rental. Change the policy.

by butters09 Posted Thu May 22, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

The simple answer to this question is a challenge proposed to you.
Tomorrow I want you to walk into a Bank in your town and demand to get
a 30 thousand dollar loan and promise them that All State will pay for
it.
See how that goes for you and get back to me.
STUPID PEOPLE!!!!!

by *Brenda* Posted Fri October 13, 2006 @ 7:54 PM

Well, let's say you burn the seats with a cigg or spill coffee.
Allstate isn't going to be responsible for that, you will. That's why
they require the card. It's the same as when you go to a hotel and
even though you prepay they still require a card for incidentals.