Politicians abridging constitutional rights? NAH!!!

Posted Fri September 20, 2002, by Jennifer W. written to Federal Communication Commision

In our country, we take our rights very seriously. One of the rights that has made this country so great is our freedom of speech, guaranteed by the First Amendment of our Constitution. This morning I learned of an attempt by my local politicians at severely breeching this right. I am specifically writing in regard to a letter you recently received from District 2 Councilmember Sandy Sheedy.

Ms. Sheedy and the office of Sacramento Mayor Heather Fargo, in addition to several other politicians, heard second- or third- hand about a broadcast of Armstrong & Getty on Talk-650 KSTE in Sacramento. The broadcast segment referred to an article in Time Magazine discussing the diversity of population here in Sacramento. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty discussed various points in the article and invited discussion. In order to fully address the issues at hand, they suggested various problems that could possibly arise as a result of this diversity and solicited opinions on these possibilities. For this, Ms. Sheedy and Ms. Fargo branded them as racists and hate mongers and are attempting to ruin the careers of these fine men. I firmly believe that these women are using this opportunity to further their own careers at the expense of others. By reading Ms. Sheedy's letter, she seems to have no first-hand knowledge of the broadcast itself, nor of Armstrong & Getty's show in general.

Per Webster, racism means: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities, and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. I have been listening to Armstrong & Getty for approximately two years. In that time, I have heard them promote open discussion of various diversity issues, including those of race, creed, and sexual preference. This open discussion promotes understanding and tolerance of those unlike ourselves. I have never heard them to make any truly discriminatory statements.

The problems of racism and lack of tolerance in our society is due to the overwhelming trend of so-called "political correctness"--an idea that these issues should not be discussed in any form in order to avoid offending anyone. If more people would talk as openly about these issues as Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, we would have fewer problems in society. Asking them not to discuss these issues is a serious infringement on their First Amendment rights. I hope that you will keep this in mind when determining whether to revoke the license of Talk-650 KSTE.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you can help me. I look forward to hearing from you.