Ziggy The Elephant

Posted Mon June 14, 2010 6:57 pm, by Dawn L. written to Field Museum

For many years I have come to the Field Museum and have asked your staff about Ziggy the elephant whose remains you have in storage.
The staff has repeatedly informed me that no Ziggy the elephant exists at the museum.
After looking into a number of websites I have found that the museum has had the remains in storage since 1970.
I would like to know why Ziggy has never been an exhibit being that he was at Brookfield Zoo from 1936 to 1970. I saw Ziggy in the early 1960's as a child at the zoo and saw him penned in the elephant house. I understand he was penned in there for thirty years. He was treated badly at the zoo. I may sound like an animal nut but I am not. I have seen Bushman from the Lincoln Park Zoo and Sue which would dwarf Ziggy. I just think that you could at least show that Ziggy existed, especially since their were many school children in the 60's that raised money for his new enclosure at the zoo after the news story of his treatment appeared in March 1969. Michael Sneed of the Chicago Tribune called attention to Ziggy's confinement.

You also need to inform the staff that his remains are there.
I hope someone will check into this and respond to my letter and not ignore me.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Dawn

by NathanG Posted Tue June 15, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

So you want the remains of an elephant that was abused in the zoo
brought back out? for what purpose?

The zoo is obviously embarrased by what happened and I dont see any
positive to them dragging up bad history.

by Donno Posted Mon June 14, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

I'm trying to envision such an exhibit and the story that a plaque or
museum workers would recite.

Here stands the skeleton of an elephant that was mistreated by more
than one owner. A misunderstood agression caused Ziggy to be chained
in shadowed isolation for decades, until the generosity of school
children afforded him a few brief respites from his dungeon in his
final years.