Quality of General Tires

Posted Wed June 26, 2002, by Robert A. written to General Tire Company

A problem with your tires has prompted me to write this letter of complaint. This problem has to you with your quality and reliability, and the tires I'm referring to is Ameri-G45 P205/70R15.

I own a 1999 Buick LeSabre equipped with General Ameri-G45 P205/70R15 tires. Before a recent trip I had the tires rotated. Soon afterwards I noticed an extreme vibration in the steering wheel and front end of the car at speeds above 60 MPH. I returned the car to the shop that had rotated my tires and asked what the problem was and were the tires out of balance? I was informed that the 2 tires that had been rotated from the rear to the front had tread separation and severe cupping. The tread levels in the middle of the tire are very irregular. I went to my Buick dealer and asked about the tire warranty, since these tires had at least 2/3 tread wear left. I was told that they did not warranty tires, that I needed to go to a General Tire dealer. I went to America's Tire Co, which sells General Tires and inquired about the warranty. They essentially told me to get lost. They said that this was quite common with General Tires and I should just drive with them that way. He said I should have rotated the tires earlier so they would have worn off the high spots, he said every 5000 miles. They would do nothing.

I believe that should not be the case! I have owned cars and driven for over 45 years and I have never seen this happen before. I moved the tires back to the rear wheels, but I do not feel the least bit safe with them in that location either. I don't want to be the next casualty of a Firestone-like tire problem.

Unless this issue is resolved, I think I'll look elsewhere for tires in the future, and I'll probably urge others to look elsewhere for parts.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: I would like General Tire stand behind their product and provide me with pro-rated replacements for these tires.

Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to a prompt response.

by jdub Posted Tue May 13, 2008 @ 3:55 PM

The general tire you have is warranted for 60000 miles,if you keep up
with the rotation scedual and are correctly aligned.However, if you
have not done your part to ensure correct warranty coverage why should
general keep up their end.Rotation and alignment is not something you
do because you are going on a trip, it's something you do on an
exacting scedual.Plus the G4s is like the chepest tire ever,complete
junk in my opinoin, but with proper maitanance even crap tires can run
straight.