Bad Goodyear Tires

Posted Mon June 4, 2001, by Keith O. written to Goodyear Tire & Rubber

I would like to bring your attention to a complaint I have about the experience at your retail store, located at 293 Main St. Nashua, NH. 02060 (603) 883-3392 Federal Tax ID # 340253240. I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

I purchased a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6 TRD Offroad from Toyota of Nashua NH with 11000 miles. in July of 2000.

My tires were wobbling between speeds of 50 - 70 MPH. I brought the truck back to Toyota of Nashua & asked them to balance all the tires & test drive.

The Toyota dealership did as I requested & could NOT get rid of the wobble. They then went the extra mile & performed a Road Force Variation test on all the tires. The result were as follows.
Left front tire; Rim passed, T.I.R ( total indicated reading ) passed @ 12 lbs
Right front tire; Rim passed, T.I.R FAILED @ 21 lbs
Left rear tire; Rim passed, T.I.R FAILED @ 56 lbs
Right rear tire; Rim passed, T.I.R FAILED @ 39 lbs

Both the Radial Rim Runout & Lateral Rim Runout passed on all tires.

I then brought the truck in to a Goodyear dealer on Main Street in Nashua NH. & was told that my dealership TOYOTA of NASHUA did not know how to balance tires & Goodyear balanced my tires no charge. This did not help.

I then contacted Goodyear again & informed them that this did not help and they told me I needed to bring my truck back to Toyota and have the truck aligned. I had the alignment checked & it was fine.

I brought the truck in for its 30000 mile service and Toyota of Nashua told me they could not rotate my tires due to the previously mentioned condition of the tires. Toyota of Nashua suggested I replace 3 of the tires or at least change the worst tire with the full size spare ( of which I have not had tested ). The results of the spare replacement was a little better, however, was under inflated BY GOODYEAR & picked up some debre causing a flat & I was forced to re-install the other BAD tire. After contacting Goodyear 1 last time by telephone, they told me there was nothing wrong with the tires & that I should have the rims checked out by a Toyota dealership.

This problem started since the day I purchased the truck. I have been getting NOTHING BUT A RUNAROUND since. The truck is my commuter from Merrimack NH to Cambridge MA. ( 107 miles round trip ) DAILY.. It has not been Offroad, ALL highway miles.

While I almost never buy from your company, I think I have the potential to be a good customer I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: Regardless of the miles on the tires @ this time due to the runaround that I have been getting from Goodyear, I would like ALL 4 tires replaced & Road Force Variance test all 4 tires. This would be of little consequence or loss to a huge company like Goodyear ( the largest tire company in the world ).

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.