Re: Greyhound Endangered the Welfare of Passengers
by calm - Posted Thu December 20, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

I used to ride Greyhound.

I haven't in a long time, but back when I was riding there were always people with strong odors on board. That's kind of the nature of travel by a slow enough method that some people are sitting there for hours and hours with only very brief breaks to clean up in public restrooms.

I also recall that it was a potentially social time: I could learn a lot about those smelly strangers, and they could learn a lot about smelly me. I remember one time sitting near a woman who had taken her kids and left an abusive husband -- and also near two other women who had left abusive relationships some time before. It was one of the most thought-provoking discussions I've ever had.

Of course, there was the time the white supremacist sat next to me and wanted to discuss our shared heritage in the master race. That was a little bit scary and extremely unpleasant. And nobody else on the bus liked me after word of what the guy was saying got around.

But overall, even with the odors, I recall Greyhound as a mode of transportation where you could meet cool people. Some of whom could have used a shower.