***** Never put water on a wax or oil based flame *****
by PepperElf - Posted Mon November 16, 2009 @ 11:53 AM
Water and oil / wax don't mix.
If you don't have a candle-snifter then it's better to use something else to put it out.
I'm assuming the candle was too high to be blown out so...
A small metal lid - even a glass plate or small glass spice dish can be used to snuff the candle.
and believe me... the water ... no.
A couple of nights ago I watched some vids for "Time Warp" and they showed what happens when...
using water to extinguish a grease fire - FIREBALL
putting boiling water into oil - FIREBALL
adding ice water to boiling oil - FIREBALL
Sure you won't get a fireball with a candle or a tea light, but it's the same idea... water/oil/wax are not friends.