Re: Easy-Off Oven Cleaner sent my mother to the hospital.
by PepperElf - Posted Thu March 1, 2012 @ 7:56 AM
that's probably what happened then. If you have autoimmune diseases then small exposures to bacteria and viruses will have BIG results on you.
Meaning that say... say you don't wear your gloves when using oven cleaner and your skin splits a bit and blisters.
Then bacteria has a way into your body. Normally it won't matter but if you have an autoimmune disease then that bacteria can affect you greatly.
But it brings us back to the original issue... wear your PPE when using chemicals.
I know you want to raise a case where you suggest the can was full of bacteria but no scientist will agree with you - the environment inside the can is too harsh for bacteria to flourish. Heck even dreaded viruses can be killed outside the body by chemicals that are less harsh then the stuff in oven cleaner.
So most likely something got inside her after the hands blistered. that's probably when she got infected.
but again this can result from not wearing PPE.
always wear the correct PPE for what you're doing.