Blockbuster's Deceptive Late Fee Policy
by Katie S. - Posted Wed May 3, 2006 @ 12:00 AM

I checked out a movie on a Saturday evening and was told it was due on Monday. Assuming the store followed the No Late Fee policy, I returned it the following Monday to avoid a charge for the movie itself (after one week). I was told I had a $20 late fee and that this particular store was not a corporate Blockbuster; therefore, they did not practice the no late fee policy. At no point during this time period was I informed of the accruing fee or policy.

I know it is not necessarily possible to get my money back. I would just like an explanation as to why these non-corporate stores do not inform their customers of their policies when it is assumed by many due to the prevalent tv advertisements, etc. Also, they should contact customers if they are indeed building up a hefty late fee.