MERRY CHRISTMAS at Target is a dirty word!
by Bambi C. - Posted Thu November 8, 2007 @ 12:00 PM
This letter is featured on ShopperCast
I was recently buying Christmas cards in your Target store in Strongsville, OH. When I was checking out, I started chatting with the checkout girl about my purchase. I commented on how hard it is to find Christmas cards with the words Merry Christmas in them anymore. She commented on my problem and then informed me that she is forbidden to say Merry Christmas to anyone this year. She said they had a store meeting and under no circumstances are they to use the words "Merry Christmas" in case they might offend someone. Well, I must say, two points pop into my mind. First, 85% of Americans claim to celebrate Christmas, so I don't think it's worth protecting 15% of our population, just to annoy the other 85%. Second, aren't you violating this employees rights to free speech? I don't think you should compel any employee to say (or not say)anything. If a checkout girl wants to say Merry Christmas, or Happy Kwanzaa, or Happy Holidays, shouldn't they have the right to choose. Besides, when did this become such a huge deal! It is time for Americans to accept all groups as part of the Great Melting pot and that includes accepting Christians who celebrate Christmas!
You need to tell your employees to greet people as they feel appropriate in their heart. Enforced Seasons Greetings is a generic catch all that is just insulting to everyone. I, as a Christian, take no offense to any blessing bestowed upon me, regardless of its religion. So whether someone says Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, or Merry Christmas...I will smile and say thank you.