Awesome Service from Saturn of Reno

Posted Thu March 6, 2008 12:00 pm, by W H. written to Saturn of Reno

On 3/3/08 the "check engine" light came on in my 2007 Saturn Vue. I was dismayed, because in my limited experience auto repairs have been expensive, time consuming, and generally just a pain. Not to mention that the dealership where the repair would need to be done is 70 miles from our home.

I contacted OnStar to see if they could run a remote diagnostic and clue me in as to what the problem was. Unfortunately, they were unable to tell me the reason the light was on. I then called Saturn of Reno and scheduled an appointment for 3/4/08.

We drove into Reno and dropped off the car at 3pm. At 5:30pm, I called to get a status because we needed to be heading home soon (we have two small children and my husband and I both had to work on 3/5/08). I spoke with Lance at the service desk. He apologized and told me that he had not yet had time to run the diagnostic on my car. Before I could even say anything about my disappointment, he said "but you're under warranty, so we'll just set you up with a rental, is that OK?" I was (pleasantly!) shocked. I said that would be fine, but how much is it going to cost. He said nothing, that we would just have to pay for the gas. He said that since it was late in the day, he couldn't promise what kind of car we would get, but he would call right over to the rental agency and set it up for us so we would be able to get home early enough to start dinner and do what we needed to do (his words). I was so flabbergasted that I just said "thank you very much!" and goodbye.

We headed over to the rental agency Lance had indicated, frankly expecting a hard time due to the fact that it was after 6pm and only a few minutes after we had spoken with Lance. When we got there, our rental was waiting (a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer, no less!) and within 15 minutes we were on the road for home.

The next day, I called Saturn to get a status on my car. I spoke with a gentleman by the name of Charles (I believe). He was very pleasant and told me my car was ready for pick up. When I asked him what the problem had been, he paused. At this point, I tell you, I was waiting for the axe to fall. Then he told me that I had had a faulty gas cap. Honestly, it made me laugh. Of all the horrific problems I could have had, all it was was the gas cap. I let out the breath that I had been holding, thanked Charles and went to pick up my car.

When I got the rental agency, it took all of about 5 minutes to get checked in and they even gave me a ride back to the dealership.

When I arrived back at Saturn, I saw Lance at the service desk. He checked me out, explained what had been wrong (we both had a bit of a chuckle) and helped me get set up to go.

The only hiccup during the whole process was that the cashier couldn't find my keys. She apologized and called over to the service department to see where my keys were. Turns out my car was being washed. No problem, I got a packet of info on a 2008 Vue and sat down. Within 5 minutes, a gentleman came and got me and I was on my way.

I have to tell you that this whole process was so smooth and so easy that I still have trouble believing it. I cannot say enough good things about Lance, Charles, and all the people at Saturn who made what could have been a horrific experience turn out to be an enjoyable diversion from my normal routine.

by kellyanne67 Posted Fri March 14, 2008 @ 8:24 AM

I've owned a Saturn for years and have always been treated with
respect and courtesy.

Saturn is a different kind of company when it comes to being nice to
people and doing what they can to be helpful.

Your letter was a pleasure to read.

by robinbird Posted Mon March 10, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

I also have a 2007 Saturn Vue, best car I've ever owned. We also have
a 1999 Saturn SL2 with over 150,000 miles on it, no breakdowns once. I
bought my car from Saturn of Blue Springs, in Missouri, and they are a
great bunch to work with.

Have you been to www.saturnfans.com forums yet? There is one just for
Vue owners that is awesome. I'm Vuebird!

by Adam D Posted Sun March 9, 2008 @ 1:06 AM

Awsome letter! It's nice to see a positive letter to a dealership.
You don't see it very often!

by RowdyRetailer Posted Fri March 7, 2008 @ 9:53 PM

My Honda's owner gas cap and owners manual states to failure to
tighten 3-5 clicks may result in a check engine light. I guess I am
nerd and read the gas cap and owners manual.

If only the guy would have told you this. Oh well, you are happy.

Good day

I read about the light by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

typing with a baby on your lap doesn't work. by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

Reply by RowdyRetailer Sat March 8, 2008 @ 9:41 AM

Very true, but... by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Sat March 8, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

by ~Fiナ-la-ネea~ Posted Fri March 7, 2008 @ 2:42 PM

Absolutely wonderful letter! What a great experience too! Now how do
we get the other dealerships to be this good? LOL Sounds fantastic.

by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Posted Fri March 7, 2008 @ 7:58 PM

From what I understand from the other posters, Saturn dealerships are
just like that. I'm surprised that we don't see more of the on the
road :)

My parents had saturns by ~Fiナ-la-ネea~ Sat March 8, 2008 @ 12:06 AM

For the longest time by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Sat March 8, 2008 @ 12:15 AM

Can this Vue by ~Fiナ-la-ネea~ Sat March 8, 2008 @ 12:24 AM

I believe.. by Harleycat Sat March 8, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

My dad by ~Fiナ-la-ネea~ Sat March 8, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

I'm not sure by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Sat March 8, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

ok so it can also by ~Fiナ-la-ネea~ Sat March 8, 2008 @ 12:46 PM
by Cookgirl Posted Fri March 7, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

I don't know what else is left to be said! Great people+ great
service+ great cars= happy and loyal customers!

cookgirl

Absolutely! by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

awesome by SuzieCat Fri March 7, 2008 @ 1:50 PM

by MA Cunningham Posted Fri March 7, 2008 @ 9:10 AM

It is so rare that we EVER see a good letter about a car dealership!

Too bad I live in OH, I'd buy a car from them based on this!

Thanks for the letter : )

No reason to move by Bill R. Fri March 7, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

MA..... by Cookgirl Fri March 7, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

When we bought the car, by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

I kinda like by MA Cunningham Fri March 7, 2008 @ 5:45 PM

by Gino Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 10:12 PM

I think your letter's fantastic. And I think this car company is one
that deserves a lot of credit for how they deal with their customers.
I went to one of their dealerships, and never felt more welcomed than
they made me feel. (I'd give my eyeteeth for one of those "Sky"
convertibles).

When they go beyond your expectations, it's something you never
forget, and when they take responsibility, apologize, and do what's
right, they show that "customer service" really does mean something.

They did an exemplary job by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 12:37 AM

I've had good luck with a few brands by Gino Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

A few years ago when I was pregnant with Peanut by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

I can't imagine not having A/C anywhere by Gino Sat March 8, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

Yep! by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Sun March 9, 2008 @ 12:08 AM

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 7:35 PM

Something similar happened to a friend. She felt so embarrassed, but
the guy at the dealership told her that it happens to tons of people!

I wasn't embarrased... by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

I think the difference is... by Chris M Fri March 7, 2008 @ 11:49 AM

I hear you. by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

It's a pain sometimes, but it's required now in the States by Chris M Fri March 7, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Whoulda thunk it? by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 7:19 PM

Welcome to SUV life ;) by Chris M Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

My Vue by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 10:50 PM

Try filling up my F150.. by Harleycat Sat March 8, 2008 @ 11:08 AM

My Dad's Dodge by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Sat March 8, 2008 @ 11:23 AM

by Ahsha Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 7:02 PM

I love that you posted this letter. What a great letter. Saturn will
send you a survey to measure the service you received. Be sure to send
it back. The service techs get paid from these surveys.
I have a Saturn also and have always received outstanding service.I
probably will always own a Saturn from now on. BTW, my Ion is a 5
speed manual!

High Five by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

My husband... by Harleycat Fri March 7, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

That would make it hard. by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Fri March 7, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

by ♥Venice♥ Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:23 PM

I love this letter, and here's my favorite part:

"...and all the people at Saturn who made what could have been a
horrific experience turn out to be an enjoyable diversion from my
normal routine."

I know exactly what you mean! haha

You know... by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:58 PM

by Harleycat Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 4:24 PM

Great letter Peanut's Mom!

Thanks Harley :) by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:56 PM

We had something similar.. by Harleycat Fri March 7, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

by Bill R. Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

W.H.,
Super Duper!!!
Glad it all worked out.
I've had that gas cap sceario on another brand car as well.
Great letter.
BillR.

Thanks! by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:54 PM
by Steve-Oh Posted Thu March 6, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

It's nice to see examples of this, especially when such an easy fix
cost them the rental fee.
Great letter, too.

I was thinking the same thing by ♥Venice♥ Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

I loved it! by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 5:53 PM

Oh, right!... by ♥Venice♥ Thu March 6, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

Yep! That would be me! by (What's With this Cheese Thing???) Peanut's Mom Thu March 6, 2008 @ 9:27 PM