Wa How Much?

Posted Fri June 20, 2008 9:33 pm, by Teresa B. written to Washington Mutual

Today I went into your NW Military location here in San Antonio, TX.

I am recovering from an injury and am not able to drive very far. I bank with USAA and its way on the other side of San Antonio, so I decided that I would go to WaMu, since its right around the corner. I needed a money order. I went into to the bank and gave the teller my money and asked for a money order. She proceeded to tell me that the charge would be $10.00 for a money order. $10.00? I was not sure I heard right, so I again, told her that I wanted a money order NOT a cashiers check which I know can be expensive. She told me again it would be $10.00, I was stunned. Money orders usually only cost a couple of dollars. I had her give me my money back and made for the door. I do have to say she was very nice and even told me that I could go to HEB across the street to get one. I did not know this, as I had been told before that HEB did not sell them. I went to HEB and paid .69 for the money order. So I do want to thank her for her suggestion.

I am really surprised that the money order charge was this high. I see your commercials all the time on TV and think your such a cool looking bank. Now I know how you pay for all those cute commericals! I understand that when you are not an account holder you will pay higher then normal costs for items, but I think that $10.00 for a money order is beyond higher then normal.

I would suggest you lower your costs. By the way, I also think that $20.00 for a cashiers check is over the top also.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Sat June 21, 2008 @ 1:20 AM

I wonder whether they charge so much in order to avoid doing them.
Kind of like my photographer friend. He doesn't want to turn people
down when asked to do weddings, but he hates to do weddings, so he
just priced himself out of the market, essentially. But if someone
accepts his price, he'll gladly do it for an exorbitant fee.

The PO is too far by Teresa B. Sat June 21, 2008 @ 2:29 AM

That was nice of them to recognize your plight and by Donno Sat June 21, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

by Donno Posted Fri June 20, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

Post Office. I would expect a higher charge at a bank. How much
higher? Well, nothing would surprise me, and $10 doesn't seem out of
line. Would I pay that? Never. But people who need a money order
with a bank's name on it would.

I'm a little surprised you wrote this letter. You aren't a customer
of the bank, and you found a reasonable price elsewhere. Like
anything else, buy it where you know it is cheap/a reasonable price.

I guesss you feel this is outrageous, but to me it isn't. For certain
people it must make sense, but I get mine at the regular old PO.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Sat June 21, 2008 @ 1:45 AM

Your second paragraph, I mean.

Perhaps she could write a complimentary letter to the business that
sold her a money order for under $1.