Spoiled Meat, Dirty Slicers in Deli

Posted Sat December 20, 2008 10:15 pm, by Kathy A. written to Walmart

On December 20, 2008, I purchased 1 lb of Manda's Cajun Roast Beef at the Deli at Walmart, 15955 FM 529 Road, Houston, TX - (281) 855-1305. The meat was spoiled. When I went back to the store I asked for a Manager. 20 minutes later one showed up. I explained the meat was bad and he asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted a fresh package opened and sliced on a clean slicer. He said he couldn't do that nor could he slice it on another slicer. I asked how long it would take to clean a slicer and he stated he couldn't do that either, they were cleaned on a "routine schedule". I asked what that schedule was he and refused to answer. Also refused to give me his name, turning his name tag over so I couldn't see it. I then told him I would contact the Health Dept and he shrugged. I got my money back and 2 cashiers there saw and smelled the meat, acknowledging it was rotten. One of them told me the Deli is "nasty" and employees get sick there all the time. Said the Health Dept is always being called on it. I also observed an employee who was slicing meat use the telephone and not change her gloves. I have contacted the Health Dept as well as Walmart's Corporate offices and will contact Manda's Meats in Baton Rouge on Monday. I feel this needs to be investigated as all meat sliced after mine would also be contaminated and I don't feel the slicers are being cleaned as they should be.

Make sure all meat slicers are cleaned at LEAST once a day, train employees on spotting spoiled meats, train managers on customer service. Train all employees on proper handling of food and cleanliness.

having worked in a deli....I can tell you by dottiejean28 Sun December 21, 2008 @ 7:29 AM

by jkaustin02 Posted Mon December 22, 2008 @ 11:43 AM

I got a call from a Co-Manager of Walmart last night. He was bending
over backwards to try to placate me. Offered a gift certificate for my
"inconvenience". Said he would review the food handling issues in the
Deli. Told me that the slicers are cleaned at 4 hour
intervals....doubt that! Said the other Manager could have broken the
slicer down and cleaned in it no time at all, while I waited. Did seem
concerned about what happened. But he's only one person. We'll see if
things change. I WILL be keeping an eye on this Deli and I'm sure the
Health Dept will inspect also. It upsets me that other people
purchasing meat after mine was sliced would get cross-contamination. I
hope they are all ok. Bad time of year to get food-poisoning. Not that
ANY time of year is good, but you know what I mean!