Appalling Experience at Ramada Inn on Bourbon, New Orleans

Posted Thu April 2, 2009 12:00 pm, by Aman B. written to Ramada

My whole group had a horrible experience staying at this hotel. As I checked in, the front desk gave me a key to the wrong room, where I walked in on another guest. Then she shrugged it off, giggled and issued me new keys (telling me she didnt LOOK AT THE NAME ON MY LICENSE COMPLETELY). In addition when I got the correct keys there were two random people on my reservation, thank god I caught it or she would have given random people keys to my room!

Then Friday night, my guest (staying in my room) was physically assaulted by the security guard manning the front door of this property. I attempted to intervene and he threatened me. The nightshift front desk girl (seemed to be the most honest of all staff), called the manager, (who was incompetent), and I went outside and got police to press charges. We immediately requested that all three rooms in our group be checked out and we were going to stay at the Ritz. The police officer was trying to dissuade us from pressing charges, so he spoke with the manager, and he pulled me in the back office, told me the police officer suggested comping our room to keep us there.

When in the back office, the manager admitted that the Front Desk Attendant admitted that the Security Guard was in fact at fault, and completely out of line. He told me that he could not comp our rooms, due to lack of authority, but he would speak with the GM on MOnday and he asked me to write a statement. Now I know this was a complete bait and switch to convince us to continue our stay there. It was late after this whole ordeal, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I asked the police officer to escort us to the room, because I did not feel safe with this security guard on the premises. The manager assured me if we still wanted to go out it would be okay because the Security Guard would be moved from front door duty. We decided to call it a night regardless.

The next morning I wrote a 4 page account of what happened, when I came downstairs a different manager was on staff, he acted clueless to the issue, than later admitted that the other manager had "briefied him on the situation and on WHAT WE WANTED." Immediately I knew something was wrong as "what we wanted" was to get out of the hotel as soon as the incident occured. In point of fact, it was the other manager and the Police officer who were adament on comping our room and us not checking out. I hoped that this would be resolved by the GM on Monday morning so we continued our stay and left Sunday morning.

On Monday I called the hotel 4 times, and the GM was no where to be found. Then I recieved a call back from her, she left a message stating she needed to do some discovery and she would call me first thing Tuesday morning. I called several times on Tuesday and today (wednesday), to no avail. It is now well past Close of Business on Wednesday and we still have not heard anything. I have contacted the police officer Officer and I intend on taking whatever legal action is possible and I have instructed our whole group to dispute the charges placed on their credit cards. Not to mention that the charges placed on the Credit Cards are not even consistent with the amount we were quoted when we booked the rooms.

I find this whole situation appauling and I think it is not only a reflection on the staff and management but on Ramada Corporate as well. I insist that someone from corporate contact me immediately and I am going to call everyday until this is fulfilled. As for every staff member we encountered at the hotel (except for the nightshift front desk attendant and the pleasant cleaning crew) everyone should be terminated. I understand this may come across draconian, but being from a family that is in the hospitality business (we own 3 full service hotels) it is the only appropriate action. Furthermore, I think it is only right that Ramada, credit back all charges from the three rooms that we had in our group, as we are moving forward with disputes if not. I would be more than happy to fax the official written statement to whomever contacts me from corporate. Also I am certain that the police officer will corroborate our story. I am now very interested to see how Ramada corporate intends to stand behind their brand. I look forward to hearing from someone

I would like the Ramada to compensate my entire group for all room charges incurred as a result of our stay in Ramada New Orleans! Also severely reprimand ther entire management staff at this facility.

by Nate. Posted Sun April 5, 2009 @ 5:23 PM

Poor service indeed. Are any of the hotels your family owns franchised
by Wyndham? You may be able to contact them through a more direct
method and get it touch with the higher-ups pretty easily if you have
contact there.

Otherwise I do hope they get back with you.

by calm Posted Thu April 2, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Like others, I would have liked to see more details about the
assault.

The reasons you should be comped are (1) that your friend was treated
extremely badly by hotel staff, and (2) that the manager indicated you
probably were going to get comped.

Reason (2) isn't as strong as it could have been, because he left open
the possibility that the manager would turn him down. Moreover, given
that this was a big enough deal for the police to show up, I would
think that it wouldn't be unreasonable for the manager on duty to call
his supervisor at home. Promising to talk to the supervisor in a day
and a half just comes off as a brushoff to me. If you were completely
unwilling to pay for the room you should have left right then. Reason
(1) is therefore the really important one, and it would have been
better, I think, if you had given more details.

Other than that, I agree that you were treated horribly and that
nobody appeared to take the horrible treatment seriously enough to do
much about it. I hope that you get an adequate response from the
company and that you will let us know about whatever response you do
get.

I like your response by Donno Thu April 2, 2009 @ 9:23 PM

Yeah, Cal tends to be that way by RedheadwGlasses Fri April 3, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

Re: Appalling Experience at Ramada Inn on Bourbon, New Orleans by Andrew S. Thu April 2, 2009 @ 10:34 AM
by Lylyness Posted Thu April 2, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

At the beginning of the letter the OP refers to recieving "keys,"
which leads me to believe the other guest registered and paid for.
It's kind of hard to tell, I'm not really sure. Hopefully the writer
will come back and clarify.

by Bill R. Posted Thu April 2, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

Lylyness,
Some do.
More don't.
I'd entertain a business coming in here and commenting on a letter. I
believe I've seen that maybe twice but it was more of an affirmation
of receiving a letter as opposed to a sharing of facts and outcomes.
We shall see.
BillR.

Bill, I imagine that it would be difficult for a business to come back by Steve-OH Thu April 2, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Like the Handbag Lady by Nate. Fri April 3, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

by PurPink Posted Thu April 2, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

If you were willing to check out after the incident with the security
guard whether the rooms were comped or not, the bottom line is you
chose to stay there.

Since you are from a family in the hospitality business, I don't know
why you allowed yourself to be persuaded.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Thu April 2, 2009 @ 8:24 AM

Of course your rooms should be comped, but I'm curious as to what led
the security guard to attack your friend. I'm just being nosy!

It's OK to be nosy by Bill R. Thu April 2, 2009 @ 9:47 AM