Stop and Shop drives customers to the competition

Posted Mon August 2, 2010 12:00 pm, by Ruth H. written to Stop & Shop Companies, Inc

This is a copy of something I just submitted directly through the corporate site. It's being submitted here as well so that people will know to avoid this store if they use coupons or have a physical disability. (and as an aside, Planetfeedback's system couldn't find the corporate name or address within its system.)

Once again I am reminded why I use your store only for cat food and a few specials. I attempted to run a fairly quick in and out errand into this store today and ran into nothing but problems. Time: about 3 to 4PM. Your self-scan checkouts are badly programmed, your Customer Service Desk generally can't help customers, and this customer has written far too many complaint letters about the same things.

First, I was silly enough to buy soda in your store a while ago; I should have known better. Stop and Shop is the only store selling the brand, so I had to bring the bottle back there for deposit redemption. It's only a nickel, but it's my nickel. The bottle return was closed for cleaning. Customers can be pigs, so it's necessary, but the time of day is not the best. I do not know whose decision it was to close for that time period, but that person might wish to bump it to late night.

Second, your self scan checkouts need an overhaul. The store is running a Buy Three Kashi products, get $3 off on your next order offer. I bought the requisite three products as pictured in your circular. No coupon printed. This was only the first problem. There was also a three day sale that allowed a customer to load a coupon for free ears of corn onto their card. If you use a self-scan, the coupon comes off but does not display. This is a known problem, I've run into it before over a period of years, and it seriously needs to be fixed. Unless a customer stands there with a calculator and totals everything how are we supposed to know our total is correct before paying?

I ended up getting a three dollar cash refund at the service desk for the Kashi coupon. A store clerk got instructions about the card-loaded coupon and checked me out at the cashier stand. The coupon displayed there. Why can't it display on the self-scans? People use those to get in and out quickly, and instead it takes even longer.

The service desk should be called the no-service desk. Money orders, lottery tickets and actual Customer Service problems are all handled by the same line. I have Multiple Sclerosis and cannot stand in place for long periods, even on my good days. Today was not a good day. What should have been a two minute problem turned into one that took longer than checking out my groceries, and about as long as it had taken me to shop for them. Separating the money order line from everything else would have been helpful.

To top it all off, your customer service clerks said they can't take the return of a single bottle. In other stores, if the bottle machine messes up the clerks can process the bottle refund. It happens all the time, but these ladies would not help me. I would have had to go outside, run the bottle through the machine, and then come back with my slip to stand in line again. I am still feeling the effects of doing it the first time. Thanks but no thanks. On another note, the can return machines as designed are not handicap-accessible. Try having a 5'2" woman reach the buttons while seated some time. I am still mobile, but many people aren't. This isn't your fault, but a complaint from you will count more with the manufacturers than one from me.

That nickel for the bottle now back in my trunk is costing you a lot of business. Due to a long history of problems I do 90% of my shopping at your competitors. This store is the closest to me, and has the best prices. Please ask yourselves what you can change to keep good customers from going elsewhere.

by kellysue Posted Fri September 16, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

I don't know what stop and sop you go to. But the stop and shop by me,
they have handicap bottle machines. Area is always clean cause the
employers com out constantly to make everything look pretty. 2nd we
have 3 people behind customer service now so nobodys waiting too long.
We seperate the line in 3. 1 for bottle returns. 1 for lottery n
western union n 3rd is u have a problem. Normally with the coupons if
they don't scan we manully put it in the system but if u scan it and
it don't g through, it just means its been ued already but 99% of the
time we will put it in the system manually. And the checkout lanes r
pretty good bu sometimes I agree we could use better one cause they
shut down or not working properly. As an employer at stop and shop.
Our store is good. I've been there for 6 monthsn I love it. We work as
a team and if a customer wants a change. Present it to the manager and
they will fix the problem. Known fact :)

Re: A lesson in driving customers to the competition by NathanG Tue August 3, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

None of this is true in Connecticut by The Original Nethead Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

Redemption Centers by NathanG Tue August 3, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

Nathan by PlanetFeedback's Mr. Helpful Tue August 3, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

I dont think by NathanG Tue August 3, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

Do you understand by PlanetFeedback's Mr. Helpful Tue August 3, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

walk a mile in my shoes - or hobble in them by The Original Nethead Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

Grrr ... proofreading is your friend... grrrr by The Original Nethead Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

Standing in line by NathanG Wed August 4, 2010 @ 7:59 AM

On the other hand, the store Asssitant Manager agreed with me by The Original Nethead Wed August 4, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

standing in line by PepperElf Thu August 5, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

(laughing) You've obviously never been in that store by The Original Nethead Thu August 5, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

So let me ask you something by NathanG Fri August 6, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

They were not following set company policies - the store answer is YES by The Original Nethead Mon August 9, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

by Chadg Posted Tue August 3, 2010 @ 4:17 PM

I used to work as a janitor in a Hannaford supermarket, i was
dispatched to clean the bottle return machine, someone had put a
bottle full of vomit into the machine, there was a line of people
waiting, but it had to be cleaned then and there.

Also. In Maine, brand does not matter, any licenced red.ctr. should
take bottles reardless of brand, at Hannaford, we frequently got shaws
or sams soda bottles, the only restriction is on bottles from out of
state, that can get the customer a BIG fine. NH has no deposit, while
maine does. We got people all the time with bottles from NH that do
not carry a deposit stamp, they got upset at us hn we turned the
bottles down and explained the law.

I think in all states, as long as the container was purchased in state
it can be returned anywhere.

by olie Posted Tue August 3, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

by The Original Nethead Posted Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

In this area at least, if the store doesn't the brand they don't have
to redeem the bottle. If they do have to take them, then every store
in a 30-mile radius (that I've been in) is violating the law.

Here too, Our store only accepts what we sell n/t by batmoody Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

by RowdyRetailer Posted Tue August 3, 2010 @ 12:10 AM

Why should the store listen to your complaints when you do 90% of your
shopping at their competitors?

They may have the best prices by low staffing, and fewer upgrades to
their Self Checkout.

Good Day

They won't - they never have before by The Original Nethead Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

Rowdy by PlanetFeedback's Mr. Helpful Tue August 3, 2010 @ 12:54 PM

...especially when the comments document WHY they're going elsewhere by The Original Nethead Tue August 3, 2010 @ 10:54 PM