scammy owner

Posted Sat February 25, 2012 4:56 am, by Chris S. written to Subway (Sandwich Shops)

On Friday February 24th, 2012. I was working 2nd shift at nearby call centre. On my "lunch" (around 7:30 - 8pm) and the fact it was payday I decided to treat myself to a subway combo instead of my usual brown bag lunch. It came to $8.xx. The owner of this store added my veggies/sauce and cashed me out. I recognized him from previous visits. I wish I got his name, and I will do so on a future visit. An employee took my order got the bun and added the meat. The employee was fine, courteous and friendly. No issues with the employee. It is the owner I have an issue with. He added my veggies and sauce, and was very unfriendly throughout the process. That is not my main issue though. Working in customer service myself I understand everyone has a bad day.

My issue is with the quickchange/shortchange scam this franchise owner pulled on me. I decided to combo my 1' cold cut sub, it came to $8.xx. I had some 5's, 10's and 20's in my wallet, as I had withdrawn some money earlier in the day.

I believe I paid with a $20 bill, and the owner gave me back just the $1.xx in coins/change and pocketed $10 for himself. I felt something was off, but I couldnt quite place it, plus my mind was elsewhere besides monitoring receiving correct change. At this time, the owner became even more rude, and kept repeating "have a gnite have gnite" in a very snooty tone as if to shoo me out of the store as soon as the transaction was complete, even before I filled my fountain drink (at this store it is self-serve from the fountain machine). At this time I was suspecting I got short-scam-changed, as other friends have mentioned this type of thing happening. But seeing as he provided me with no receipt, and that I had other bills in my wallet, plus I didnt have time to recount my money at the fountain drink machine to confirm i was scammed. Additionally since the transaction was over, I could not ask for a receipt. So, since I couldnt confirm 100% on the spot, I silently took my meal and drink and headed back to work.

Upon returning to work and recounting my money and reviewing denominations used since payday, I came up $10 short and a $10 bill short at that too (not surprisingly). I then texted a friend as to what happened. They also confirmed in the past being shorted $5 and $10 on separate visits, from this same owner. I also vaguely remember suspecting I was shorted a few bucks one time before in the past. Based on previous friends, co-workers, and my experiences, I have since posted on facebook and on my companys intranet to watch your change closely at this particular location. Of course, after double and triple-checking making sure it wasnt just me making an error. Since there was no receipt and no proof, I figured resolving at a store level is a lost cause as I technically have no proof to stand on, plus it was not an issue on an employee level.

$10 wont make or break me. It is the principle of the matter that irks me, and that is why this note is so long winded, many people would not take the time to write this. Since I technically have no proof - at the very least what I would like to see happen, is a stern letter issued to this store/owner to ensure 100% order/cash/change accuracy. What I would love and be delighted to see happen, is a $10 subway gift card issued to me either through snail mail, or a redeemable online code. However, since I have no tangible proof, I dont expect that to happen...I dont make a lot/month but its enough to get by to live an ok life. Around $1800/month, so this is not an plea in desperation to score/scam a $10 food gift card unjustly. I have better things to do.

In closing, I feel I am a reasonable customer. I do also travel to Toronto a lot. I have had no issue with other locations in Peterborough or the GTA. Only this Hunter St location. I will likely visit this location again, due to convenience and proximity to my work. However, in future visits on Hunter St, I will be doing part of the owners job (whenever he cashes me out) by announcing the denomination given, and verbally counting back my change against order received.

by chsmith29 Posted Tue February 28, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

**UPDATE** - The manager has phoned me back. Apparently it was not the
owner that served me/cashed me out, it was actually an employee. I
retract the part where I stated it was the owner.

While I still maintain that I was shortchanged (unable to confirm
in-store, but confirmed/recounted/retraced once I got back to work
where I had the time), I do apologize TO the owner for
assuming/relying on hearsay on thinking it was him that served me.

After speaking to the manager, he agreed that this was not first
complaint of this type this employee has received. Manager has agreed
to speak to said employee and offer me a free sub :) I will also be
going back to Subway when the owner is in to apologize to him, for
incorrectly calling out the wrong person for this.

so you complained about the worker being a thief even when you admitted you don't know for sure? by PepperElf Sun March 4, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

True. It opens the employee up for claims, too. Now anyone could go in by Steve OH (IO) Tue March 6, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

or opens up the manager ... for talks from the labor board by PepperElf Fri March 9, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Well done. by cissy Wed March 7, 2012 @ 1:14 PM
by Grey_Mare Posted Mon February 27, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I'd say chalk it up as a lesson learned and pay more attention next
time. Your money is your responsibility; don't point the finger
unless you're 100% sure. You'd hate it to happen to you!

by texasgurl Posted Mon February 27, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

If I pay with cash (usually don't) I will stand at the cahs register
and make sure I got the right change. I don't care how many people are
behind me or how they feel about it. It is my money and I will make
sure I am not getting cheated. Once you walk off, its very difficult
to prove anything.

Exactly. by RedheadwGlasses Tue February 28, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

by MA Bellamy Posted Mon February 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

No more accounting for missing cash!

by McJohn Posted Sat February 25, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

"short-scam-changed"

no, you just were not paying attention. You even say you didnt know
if it was a $10 or $20 you gave him, but was positive he ripped you
off.

Then you knew all this while in the store but still did nothing til
you got back to work and counted your money.

Next time pay attention

by chsmith29 Posted Mon February 27, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

I did not know 100% for sure in-store, nor did I have time to confirm
it in-store. Thus I did not confront him in case I was wrong and did
not want to risk being the one to try to scam him. But a
recount/retrace back at work did confirm my original suspicions.

Yes, I will certainly be paying attention next time, as described in
my last paragraph of my original post.

I did not know 100% - you answered your own question then. You don't know but you're ready to accuse him of being a thief already by PepperElf Mon February 27, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

re: the scammy owner by Ticia Mon February 27, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Mon February 27, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

If she doesn't even know what bill she paid with, her complaint is
moot.