D-LINK PRODUCT NOT DOING AS ADVERTISED AND COMPANY DOESN'T CARE

Posted Tue March 13, 2012 12:00 pm, by Elaine S. written to D-Link Systems, Inc.

It's really quite simple. I have a D-link DIR-827 router that DOESN'T do what is advertised that it does. Instead of being able to watch TV shows from my home network over my wireless router without any lags, I get TV shows stopping and starting and even more infuriating and often, I get an error that the show is not found. I rarely get to watch a TV show without issues. Again, this is contrary to ALL the advertising on D-link's site.

I explained my setup to D-link BEFORE getting the router. I gave them the info about what is where and the setup in my house. They knew the distance between the router and laptops I would be watching from. I have more than 1 laptop but only would be using 1 at any given time. They were also told that I recorded TV shows from my PC's Windows Media Center onto external hard drives, connected to my PC. Also, I would be doing normal surfing. In other words, they knew EXACTLY how I would be using the router and where. They said the DIR-827 would be perfect for me.

I have had nothing but problems with the DIR-827 despite their advertising. First, I had to plug and unplug the connection to it and power it on and off. This happened DAILY as I couldn't logon to the internet without doing so and that never happened before with any of my previous routers. They FINALLY troubleshooted and solved that problem.

What wasn't solved was the bigger problem. I STILL couldn't have seamless video streaming, far from it. Van Ngo, your customer service manager, said they were researching the issue and would get back to me. That was Jan 20, 2012. Since then he has ignored my e-mails completely. Today I called him and he basically said that despite the 1 year warranty I have on the DIR-827, they don't know how to fix it. I said I only spoke to 1 engineer about the problem and I came up with other possible causes and testing. He said that D-link WON'T do any of that despite agreeing that my ideas might be correct. He said I was free to seek legal counsel.

What type of company IGNORES a customer for almost 2 months (it would have been longer but I called him)and then doesn't want to solve the fact that they have misleading advertising in that the product isn't doing what is advertised???

I want them to FIX the problem. I want the seamless video streaming that is advertised. I am not looking to make money or get refunds. I want the product to work properly and to be able to watch my TV shows without lags or video files not found in the middle of watching them. I also want and expect them to HONOR my warranty. It is disgusting that I have to add the latter. It should be a given.

by McJohn Posted Tue March 20, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Ok...

I checked with a friend of mine who does alot more networking than I
do (mainly alot more programming).

He said the issue could be your home network. Unless you are using
windows NT (or linux) you will have a very unstable network. Without
going into huge detail a standard windows network does not contain any
of the network standards to maintain a stable network. Anything
running on the PC that is hosting the network can disrupt service even
background windows programs.

He suggested getting this

Its a free program that will allow you to stream movies from your PC
to your TV/DVD/Laptop/BlueRay Etc.

It manages bandwidth, can pre-que the movie to avoid buffering etc.

My only other suggestion would be to bring it over to a PC tech who
could dig deeper into what could be causing the buffering.

Unless you are using windows NT (or linux) -- that explains my awesome network then :-) by PepperElf Wed March 21, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Thanks but won't solve my problem by Elaine S. Fri March 23, 2012 @ 3:08 PM
by Jared C. Posted Fri March 16, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

This letter is EXACTLY why it is a colossal mistake to link your TV
set (which works perfectly nearly 100% of the time) up with ANYTHING
IT/Computer/Internet related (which only works perfectly about 60% of
the time).

BE SMART and keep your TV separate from EVERYTHING internet and IT
related.

Or suffer the consequences....as this unfortunate letter writer has!

TV ISN'T CONNECTED TO MY COMPUTER by Elaine S. Sat March 17, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

I only use my TV for Internet by McJohn Mon March 19, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Good for you by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Ignore the last part of my prior message by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 12:28 PM
by E C. Posted Thu March 15, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

So have you tried the router on another connection. Say at a friends
house? If it gives you problems there, then it's probably the router.
But if you have no problems, then I'm more than willing to bet that
it's the computer or the connection.

If you're still adamant that D-Link is to blame, then call back and
request the process for getting your money back since D-Link isn't
going to help.

D-link doesn't care by Elaine S. Thu March 15, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Wireless is not 100% reliable by E C. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

My laptops aren't old by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Re: D-LINK PRODUCT NOT DOING AS ADVERTISED AND COMPANY DOESN'T CARE by PepperElf Wed March 14, 2012 @ 2:51 AM

Some other options by McJohn Wed March 14, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

D-link should care and doesn't by Elaine S. Wed March 14, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

The point is that D-link isn't honoring their warranty by Elaine S. Wed March 14, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

If you are correct in that it's your network card, it's not really an advertising by Steve OH (IO) Wed March 14, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

but if the problem is on her end... they're not obliged either. by PepperElf Thu March 15, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

You are getting into dangerous territory by Elaine S. Thu March 15, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

actually you've got it backwards by PepperElf Thu March 15, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

You have it backwards by Elaine S. Thu March 15, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

no i don't =) by PepperElf Thu March 15, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I never said anything about a DVD player by Elaine S. Fri March 16, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

oops vcr not dvd. my bad. by PepperElf Fri March 16, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Troubleshooting under warranty should be with the company by Elaine S. Fri March 16, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

wrong again. you're just assuming things now by PepperElf Fri March 16, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Sounds like you never feel the product bought is defective by Elaine S. Sat March 17, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

not at all - i just trouble shoot BEFORE i pick out what item is bad by PepperElf Sun March 18, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I did troubleshoot it by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

hmmmm by PepperElf Mon March 19, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Clarification by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

use to stop and start often by PepperElf Mon March 19, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I never said there were no issues before by Elaine S. Fri March 23, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

i know that's why i pointed out the previous issues could be a factor. n/t by PepperElf Sat March 24, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

D-link hasn't bothered answering my complaint by Elaine S. Wed March 28, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

D-link router is the problem unless proved otherwise by Elaine S. Thu March 15, 2012 @ 2:09 PM
by Elaine S. Posted Thu March 15, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

As I stated elsewhere, I have taken guesses as to what it could be. It
could simply be that their router isn't good. Seems to only work for
shorter distances than their specs claim. I read a magazine article
that indicated that. That would mean misleading advertising. In
addition, given they knew my house's setup, they should have been
upfront about it.

by McJohn Posted Mon March 19, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

If you have 2.5m/s download at your PC I dont think you are going to
get good streaming through a wireless network.

Over wireless you are going to loose 20%-50% of your total, plus you
need to deal with network traffic on the website itself.

Network cards have not changed much in the past 10 years. The same
10/100 cards you bought in 2006, are still sold today. You can buy
gamer cards that supposidly give you more, but I have yet to see
proof.

As for the other argument going around

Tech support will be very unwilling to tear apart your PC to find a
problem with compatability. They are going to expect the customer to
do some research to find out why something doesnt work. If tech is
almost positive its not the router they will spend very little time
trying to diagnose your PC. Esspecially if they sold 10,000 routers
and get 100 complaints.

sad but true, but thats what keeps me in business most days because i
will diagnose it and fix it (for a price).

No website is involved by Elaine S. Mon March 19, 2012 @ 12:43 PM