FAQ

FAQ

1. How does PlanetFeedback work?
  2. What happens after the letter is sent?
  3. Why should I use your service? Why not go directly to the company?
  4. So if you don't charge me anything, how do you make money?
  5. How Do I Get Commenting Privileges?
  6. I Had Commenting Privileges But They've Been Revoked. What Gives?
  7. If My Privileges Are Revoked, Will I Get Them Back If I Promise To Be Good?
  8. How Are Letters Selected For The Fifteen Minutes Of Fame?
  9. How Do I Share My Letter With Other PlanetFeedback Users?
  10. Why does PlanetFeedback use cookies?
  11. What's the benefit to companies?
  12. What companies can I communicate with using PlanetFeedback?
  13. Do companies respond to letters sent through PlanetFeedback?
  14. Why do I have to register?
  15. How do I get into My Planet? And what is it for?
  16. What if I forget my password? How can I find it?
  17. Why won't your site recognize my username (e-mail address)?
  18. Will you post my letters?
  19. How do I comment on other consumers' letters?
  20. Who are PFB Advisors?
  21. How Can I Become A PFB Advisor?

1. How does PlanetFeedback work?

You come to us with consumer feedback that you want to give -- a complaint, a compliment, a question or a suggestion. We gather some information from you, such as what company or specific you dealt with, what kind of feedback you want to give, and how strong your feelings are. Based on your answers, we give you an appropriate business letter which you can then edit however you want. Once you review and approve it, we get it to the best contact at the company by e-mail, fax or snail mail.

If your letter is sent by us, we also give you the option of sending a copy of it to other people, including friends and family members. Sending your letter to others increases your influence, since companies realize that you're spreading the word about their products and services. As with all other PlanetFeedback services, you get to decide whether you want to do that or not.

2. What happens after the letter is sent?

If you've registered on our site, we store a copy of your letter in your profile in our My Planet section. in case you need it in the future.

My Planet will also serve as a special areas for you to review all your letters and comments. You can also start a PFB blog in the My Planet section.

3. Why should I use your service? Why not go directly to the company?

We're all for people giving feedback any way they want to. We even encourage you to give the company or brand's direct feedback process consideration before turning to us. What we've learned however is that many companies simply don't make it easy or convenient, and some outright discourage feedback. Consequently many consumers -- 24 of 25, according to many estimates -- don't even bother with the process. That tells us that giving feedback isn't easy, and we want to help you with that.

That's why we do most of the work for you to make sure the right people hear your feedback. Letters sent by us cost you nothing. In the end, you increase the chances that your feedback will make a difference. We also recognize that many consumers appreciate the sense of community and connectedness of providing feedback in forum like PlanetFeedback. In fact, most consumers tell us that it's as important to "be heard" than to get a response from the company. At the very least, we are here to help you be heard.

4. So if you don't charge me anything, how do you make money?

Like many websites out there, we intend to make money on advertising services as well as value-added services to our consumers. When you give feedback, we remove your personal data -- your name, for example, and your e-mail address -- from the details of your feedback, such as whether you're filing a complaint about food or a suggestion about customer service. We don't do anything with your personal data unless you specifically ask us to. We then take the feedback information supplied by you, by the person who generates a letter after you, and the one after that, and the one after that. We compile all your experiences, lump them together, evaluate what they mean (complaints, questions, concerns, late baggage, time of day, etc.) and create what's called aggregated data. It's a lot of information on specific topics,

5. How Do I Get Commenting Privileges?

There's no special protocol for getting commenting privileges. We suggest you read step #3 of our TOS first before you start so you're familiar with the standards of behavior on our site.

6. I Had Commenting Privileges But They've Been Revoked. What Gives?

The ability to comment on PlanetFeedback letters is at the sole discretion of the site operators. If a decision has been made to revoke your commenting privileges, we will do our best to explain why. Generally privileges will be revoked when a commenter abuses letter writers and/or other commenters, consistently uses inappropriate language or disrupts the orderly flow of conversation. Additional prohibited behaviors are listed in step #3 of our TOS.

7. If My Privileges Are Revoked, Will I Get Them Back If I Promise To Be Good?

The first time a user's commenting privileges are revoked, it is for a two week period after which they will be reinstated. If it becomes necessary to revoke them again, that revocation will be permanent.

8. How Are Letters Selected For The Fifteen Minutes Of Fame?

We use a sophisticated algorithm developed by the scientists on loan from NASA which assigns a weight factor to each letter based on advanced formulas which have been used in conjunction with world leaders in an endless effort to find world peace.

Just kidding. Actually, it is a completely subjective process which depends on the content of the letter and the whims of the site operators. In general, we look for letters that are interesting, informative and compelling.

9. How Do I Share My Letter With Other PlanetFeedback Users?

It's simple. At the end of the process, you are given the option of sharing your letter in our public forum via a radio button. Click on that button and the other PlanetFeedback users will be able to share in your experience. Please remember that, when you share your letter, you are also providing site users with the ability to comment on your letter and not all of them will necessarily agree with your point of view. In addition, it is VERY important that you remove all personal information (such as phone numbers, addresses, names etc.) from your letter before making it public.

10. Why does PlanetFeedback use cookies?

The use of cookies is a common practice on highly interactive Web sites such as PlanetFeedback to customize and enhance a user's experience. Our site uses cookies to make your experience at our site specific to you. We also use cookies to keep track of how you found out about our site (i.e., what link to PlanetFeedback you may have clicked on at another site).

We use a minimal amount of cookies; however, since they are updated as you navigate throughout our site, it may appear as though we use more. Your browser interprets these updates as new cookies. If you set your browser to reject cookies, you will not be able to use PlanetFeedback.

11. What's the benefit to companies?

Companies spend tons of time and money trying to figure out how to make customers happy. They can learn some of their best lessons from existing customers who have something to say. If companies don't know what's going on out on the front lines of business and customer interaction, they don't know what to change, or why, or how.

12. What companies can I communicate with using PlanetFeedback?

Our Home Page contains a fairly extensive list of industries. They were chosen because they tend to draw the greatest amount of consumer feedback. In each industry, we hope you'll find the company you're interested in contacting.

You can also type in the name of your company under the "company search" field on the home page and see if it's in our database.

If the company you're looking for isn't listed on our site, you can still write your feedback letter. Click on "Write a Letter" under "Write It Anyway." Just give us all the details you know about the company -- its name, where it's located, things like that. We're committed to making feedback easy for you to give and send.

13. Do companies respond to letters sent through PlanetFeedback?

Most companies want happy customers, so most companies will respond to your letter and the issues you raise. As much as we would like to see ALL companies respond to letters sent through our site, ultimately it is up to the company to decide what your business is worth to them. We guarantee your feedback will be sent...we just dont guarantee a particular company will respond.

To see some of the most current company responses, check out our Why do I have to register?

If you share your letter, it's also eligible to appear on our Home Page under "15 Minutes of Fame." PlanetFeedback determines which letters are featured there.
    There are advantages to becoming a registered PlanetFeedback user. You have access to My Planet, which gives you an easy way to store letters you've already sent -- in case you need them in the future. Registration also ensures that all users agree to our Terms & Conditions.

And PlanetFeedback is easier to use once you register. Registration allows us to include your name and address in the letter, just as you would if you were writing a letter offline. That gives the company every opportunity to respond to your feedback, which is what we all want. We give that information only to the company you're writing to -- not to anyone else. The more contact information you provide (name, address, telephone number, order number), the easier is it for the company to contact you, especially if you print and mail the letter yourself. ( As noted above, if you post your electronic letter publicly on our Web site, please remember to remove sensitive personal information first).

14. How do I get into My Planet? And what is it for?

To get into My Planet, just go to the tabs at the top right of our homepage and click on the one that says "My Planet." Follow the login instructions on the page that appears. The My Planet area contains all of the letters you have written.

If you have not already registered with our site, please go to the registration area

15. What if I forget my password? How can I find it?

For your convenience, we've created a space on our Web site where you can enter your e-mail address and we'll mail your password right to you. This automatic function keeps your password secure.

16. Why won't your site recognize my username (e-mail address)?

It's possible you registered using a different e-mail address. If you'd like to search under an alternate e-mail address, just go to My Feedback, click on "Forgot Password", and enter your alternate e-mail address in the user blank.

17. Will you post my letters?

You can decide whether to post your letter in our Shared Letters section. We think consumers can learn from and be entertained by each others' letters. Sharing your letter amplifies your voice and raises the stakes for the company to respond. But in keeping with our commitment to privacy, we'll never publish yours unless we get your OK first. (Sorry! This function isn't available for letters sent to companies that are not in our database).

In two simple steps, you can post the letter yourself. First, at the end of the letter-writing process, check the box at the bottom of the page under "Shared Letters." Read the information carefully and make sure you agree with it. Then click "Continue" to the next page, where you enter your first name, last initial and city. You'll also be asked to provide a subject line (similar to a headline) for your letter. Please edit the letter here to remove any personal information you don't want others to see. Take out things like credit card and bank account numbers, last names, street addresses, phone numbers, PINS/passwords, Social Security numbers or other information that identifies you personally. Once you go through these steps and send your letter, it is automatically posted to the Shared Letters section.

Remember...when you choose to share your letter, other PFB users will have the ability to comment on that letter.

18. How do I comment on other consumers' letters?

Simply log into your account and fire away. We ask all of PlanetFeedback's "Consumer Commentators" to abide by our terms and conditions, avoid personal attacks and profanity/vulgarity, keep comments constructive, and focus on the consumer issues raised in others' letters.

19. Who are PFB Advisors?

PFB Advisors are specially selected members of the PFB community who have demonstrated expertise in certain key industries that are popular on PFB.

PFB Advisors operate under the official sanction of Planetfeedback. You can identify them by their screen name which consists of their first name along with the advisor designation and the industry they represent eg: "Jim - PFB Wireless Advisor". Their comments are intended to be helpful; both for the letter writer and other PFB members. In many cases, an advisor will use their expertise for the benefit of the letter writer by giving "inside" tips and information that can help readers understand their particular situation.

20. How Can I Become A PFB Advisor?

If you are interested in being considered for an advisor position, please send an email to greg@planetfeedback.com that details what industry you'd like to represent and any background you have which would qualify you.