J.C. Penney Payment Center

Posted Sat March 31, 2001, by Patricia C. written to JCPenney Company, Inc.

I would like to bring your attention a complaint I have about the experience with your payment center. I am extremely upset about this, and I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

In Sept of 2000 I paid off my account with your company which was only $29.25. In December I receive a statement stating my check from three months ago was NSF. This is impossable because I have more then enough money in the account plus I have overdraft protection on the account. I called my bank, Bank One, and they said the check was never submitted for payment. I called your billing center. Spoke to Tony on 12/29/00. He told me my check was NSF twice and I had to call my bank to get a copy of this so called NSF check. Wrong, because in order for you to collect a NSF check you need the check. So I called back on 1/3/01. I spoke to Gloria. She told me she would fill out a form to request a copy of the check so that we could get this matter settled. She said it would take about 30 days before I would receive anything and that I should send a letter regarding this matter, which I did. She also removed the late fee and finance charges. Well, another month went by and still no copy of my check. I called again on 1/26/01. Spoke to a Ms Copeland I.D. 182. The form Gloria was suppose to submit was not done. So Ms. Copeland appoligized and resubmitted the request and again removed the late fee and finance charges. I told her I wanted to cancelled my account with JC Penney's because of the greif I am going through trying to get this settled. She talked me out of it. Guess what? I had to call again on 2/22/01. This time I spoke to a supervisor, Ms West. She told me the request was made but it would take up to 60 days to get a copy of this check. I told her cancel this account I refuse to have anything more to do with JC Penney. She told me the account was already closed. I asked her if she was with JC Penney and she said she worked for G.E. Card Services. Well guess what they don't care about their customers that's why I closed my Visa account with them a few years ago. My point is they are representing your company, J.C. Penney's and they don't care about your customers either. Maybe that is part of the reason you had to close some of your stores because you are losing customer because of G.E. Card Services. Now we are past the 60 days Ms. West told me it would take and guess what I got another statement with another late fee and finance charges. I have not yet called this time. But I will be calling and writing another letter to request a copy of this check. I want to pay the balance of $29.25 which I do owe you but that is it. My payment was on time and my check was good. It is not my fault if they are having a problem on their end. I even ask Ms. West to speed up the process would she be willing to pay the stop payment charge on the check and she did not hesitate to say no!

I have given a great deal of business to your company. I seriously doubt that I'd spend any more, even if you were able to fix this problem.

I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well. The main reason I shop at your store is because I've shopped there in the past.

Here's what I'd like to see happen:I want to either receive a copy of my check #1170 in the amount of $29.25 so that I can be sure it will not go through my account, or I want JC Penney to pay for a $25.00 stop payment charge to my bank so that I can re-issue a check for the $29.25 balance which I owe you.

You may call me for my account number and futher discuss this problem if you are will to get this resolved.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.