Arizona Jeans Complaint!

Posted Mon April 28, 2003, by Maggie K. written to JCPenney Company, Inc.

I would like to bring your attention to a complaint I have about the product quality at your department stores, located at the Battlefield Mall in Springfield, Mo. Specifically, I'm writing about damaged or defective products. I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

I bought a pair of Arizona Jeans, Flare Leg, on February 24, 2003. A month hadn't gone by before the jeans ripped at the pocket on the inner top corner. I attributed it to my wear and tear on the jeans because they had become my favorite pair. What did I do? I got out my sewing machine and put a patch of blue fabric behind it so that I could still wear my new favorite jeans. A week or so later, the other pocket ripped, at the same inner top corner as the other side. Ok, I was slightly annoyed, but still sewed it to match the other side - hoping I would look like the trendy jeans my classmates wear. What else could I do? Two weeks, and very light use later (it became shorts weather) the entire crotch ripped out. I am sorry, but somehow I don't think that a normal well-made pair of jeans would rip in the crotch after less than two month's use. I have had jeans that lasted for several years before they became thin and worn in that particular area. My other favorite pair of jeans was purchased last year from Rue 21 and they have not had one single hole, nor have they worn thin in the crotch. I think that it is sad that a retain store's label can outlast your national brand, which I paid three times the price for because I thought that I was buying quality.

I visit JCPenney Company, Inc. about 4-6 times a month. On average, I spend $26-$55 when I patronize your store.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: I would love to have my money back or a gift certificate, but that seems highly doubtful. I used to enjoy the JC Penny store, and frequently shopped there for gifts and clothing. I hope that this letter reaches the right person so that there won't be other shoppers such as myself who switch to other stores. Until I am responded to, I don't plan on patronizing the JC Penny stores anymore. My JC Penny card will be cut to pieces. I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.