Wildwood Lake/ Medina KOA Owner is rude/ rolls his eyes at quests

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 pm, by Margaret S. written to Kampgrounds of America. Inc

Arrived at KOA Medina / Wildwood Lake KOA May 26, 2011. the weather in WNY has been very rainy. We know that weather is part of camping and we accept that.

We hooked up our 31 foot trailer to the services at our site. Before check in I asked more than 3 times if we were going to fit without any issues. We were told the pad holds 30 feet and we should back in to the end of the stone.

The site looked like it had been recently dug up and had a very thin layer of stone. There was not an area for my truck or other car to park. Our truck got stuck.

That night I called the office and spoke to the owner and told him that my site was completly under water and that it smelled like sewage. He assured me that he just put in new drainage tiles and that the site will drain in a very short time. I told him that it had not drained after hours. He explained that all of the sewage was drained and that we should not have and issues of that. I explained that there was water and sewage and it was not draining. I asked if we could move to a higher ground site. He told me that I could move in the a.m. to another site in the same loop.

When we moved to the new site our truck and trailer became stuck again. I had to ask the camp manager to use their equipment to get us unstuck. I asked him which site he was going to move us to, he informed me that the site I was told I was going to , the people had shown up for it and that we had to move back to our 1st site or another site. I inspected the site and saw that it was worse than the 1st site. the manager offered me wood to help us get out of the water. I informed him that it was sewage and the water was above our first step of the camper.
I went to the office and requested to speak to the owner. He was very rude and disrespectful to me. He rolled his eyes at me and would not look at me directly. He did not care that he was moving us to a site that was already rented, or that we had to move back to our original site with the sewage. He did not care that the other site he offered was not able to handle our size of trailer or truck and it was just as bad as the first one. I informed him that I was hoping for a seasonal site for the year. Eyes were still rolling at me.
He informed me that he has to refuse thousands of people each year ( short end of the story, too bad, I am not listening to you, i have your money leave if you want to you are not getting it back, I will just put someone else in your site and make more moeny form you)

KOA stands it's self apart from other camp grounds. KOA prides it's self to be better than the others. So whenever you roll up to a KOA you know what you are getting: clean, comfortable well-regulated camping. Every time. (this is directly quoted from their web page)

KOA is by far the largest group of affiliated campgrounds on the continent. I would expect that the camp ground try to fix issues directly when they are brought to their attention or have their camp grouds preped for camping. The whole loop had very little stone to prevent just about all larger rigs. The owner moved other reservations (example, ours moving us to someone elses)

We were camping with a very large group of campers. There were 5 of us in al and all 5 of us left. One trailer was stuck and the tow broke and dented the 2011 rv and the owner did not offer refund or care about the damage.

I would like a refund of my money.
I would like to see the park fix and to be able to accomodate the larger rv rigs.
I would like a letter of apology from the owner.

by Casmly Posted Tue May 31, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

The other posters make a good point about State and National Parks.
However, I would like to point out that it isn't always that easy to
get in to the State parks especially at the last minute during peek
times of the year. I can't speak specifically to the region that the
OP is in, but I know in my home town you had to send in a written
request for reservation a year in advance. I believe they kept a few
sites open for last minute rentals, but they were gone very quickly
during the summer months.

In the area I live in now, I have several State Parks within a 2 hour
drive and out of all of them 1 had openings when we chose to go
camping last Spring. It also took us making reservations a couple of
days in advance to ensure there would be something available when we
arrived.

Obviously I don't know for sure whether these people knew when/where
they would be staying in advance. However, why they chose to stay at
this park rather than a State/National park really isn't the issue.

by olie Posted Sun May 29, 2011 @ 6:51 PM

Try your state and national parks. We often drive past the private
campgrounds, and we see row upon row of campers right next to each
other. As in, within arm's reach.

At our beautiful Wisconsin state parks, though, each site is separated
from the next by trees or at least some grasses. Nobody is right on
top of the next camper.

Rates are much cheaper than for private campgrounds. There are
electric sites; I'm not sure about sewer. Modern bathroom/shower
facilities, too.

The only downside I can see is that you probably won't be able to park
5 rigs on adjacent lots. On the other hand, you'd be able to enjoy
different parts of the park if your group was a bit more spread out.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Sun May 29, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

I would neve,r ever camp at a privately owned campground such as KOA.
State and national parks have been, in my experience, WONDERFUL.