Faulty Maytag Neptune Washer

Posted Fri July 21, 2006 1:19 pm, by Lalaine B. written to Maytag Corporation

We purchased our first frontload washer, a Maytag Neptune, in September 2000.
Model #MAH4000AWW
Serial # 58715747YS
It performed very well and we were quite happy with it.
Then in December 2004, the washer suddenly failed to complete the spin cycles and we were left with soaking wet clothes.
After speaking with Maytag, they informed us of a class action lawsuit that was pending and how our washer could potentially be experiencing problems related to this lawsuit.
Once a repair man was dispatched, he determined that the control board had to be replaced, but that there would be no charge for either parts or labor since it was an issue directly related to the lawsuit.
We were very grateful and pleased that Maytag was able to fix the washer and had handled our problem so professionally.
Fast forward to July 2006. Our washer had once again broken down and was not completing the spin cycles.
I called Maytag and it would be a week before they could send a repair man!
Shortly after he arrived he determined it was a bad water valve and replaced the part. When that didn't fix the problem, he realized that it wasn't a bad valve, but that the control board had to be replaced - again!
Needless to say, I am quite shocked that the control board had to be replaced after less than 2 years.
The repair man told me that I would be responsible for labor and parts because the last control board was only under warranty for 90 days, and that the control board was not even part of the lawsuit issue so I was not entitled to a free replacement.
The total for my bill was $342.66 for parts and labor!
What upsets me is that I am being charged to
repair a washer that is inherently defective and continuously and prematurely shorts out control boards.

I would greatly appreciate it if Maytag would reimburse me for what I paid out of pocket.
I think that this is a fair request and look forward to speaking with a Maytag Representative.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
L.B.M.

by Mike R. Posted Sun July 23, 2006 @ 2:07 AM

The class action lawsuit you speak of never did see a courtroom. The
lawsuit was designed to make a bunch of lawyers rich, but it never
did. What it did do is limit what Maytag would do, though a written
settlement.

I'm really kind of surprised that you would be asking for, once again,
another free repair after six years of ownership. If such a warranty
was important to you, you should have taken it under consideration
when you made the purchase.

If, on the other hand, you think the product is inherently defective,
why pay for repairs at all? If you have put out the money, that is
your choice. If not, you can get great front load washers starting at
about $600 now. You may consider buying something new.

The other news is that Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool. Whirlpool,
in an effort to not compete with themselves, have discontinued the
Neptune line. I would not hold my breath for reimbusment, as you are
not entitled. I think you would be better to replace the unit. If a
longer warranty is important, pay a little more to a retailer that
offers such.

"Whirlpool, in an effort to not compete with themselves... by Venice Sun July 23, 2006 @ 4:18 AM

It's true, Venice by JenMo Sun July 23, 2006 @ 5:58 PM

Oh, I believe Whirlpool is discontinuing the Neptune line... by Venice Sun July 23, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

Actually... by Mike R. Mon July 24, 2006 @ 1:34 AM