nordstrom letter

Posted Sat April 28, 2001, by elaine z. written to Nordstrom, Inc. - Department Stores

I would like to bring your attention a complaint I have about the management at your department store, located at Los Cerritos Mall. I am extremely upset about this, and I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

Nordstrom Stores, Inc.

After some recent business with your store in Cerritos, California, I feel compelled to tell you how unhappy I am with the staff and attitude.

I purchased a pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes and unfortunately the heel came off the Shoe. I returned the shoes to the San Diego, Fashion Valley store where the sales people were very kind, professional and helpful. They sent me shoe out for repair and mailed the shoes to me at my new home in Marina Del Rey.

Weeks later, unfortunately the heel came off again. This is when I had the misfortune of visiting the Los Cerritos store on February 24,2001, 10 am.

I brought the shoes to the Salon Shoe department and a young lady, whose name I did not get, began to help me. Initially she took the shoes looked at the sales information under the shoe. She then asked if the price I paid was $135.90 and I said yes. Then asked if I made the purchase in San Diego and again I answered yes. She then went to the register and for some reason stops the transaction asked a gentleman by the name of Rudy for assistance.

Rudy then instructed the young woman to stop the transaction and call San Diego. I asked what was the problem. Since the sales person verified on the shoe and with me the information regarding the price and store, I did not understand why now on Rudy's instruction I was asked to wait for further verification. Rudy then stated "HE" requires verification from the originating store. I explained that I had made various purchases and returns over the past 18 years and this is a first and this has never happened before. His response was "Well this is what we do here". I then asked for the manager of the shoe department and he stated he was it. By the way it is now about 10:30 am.

I now asked for the store manager and was sent to the customer service department on the 2nd floor. The store manager was out till Tuesday, February 27th and I spoke with Christina. I explained what happened to this young lady.

Now, at this point I would expect the responses from a "store manager" assistant or actual manager to behave like they rare about the customer. I expect that behaviors like empathy are expressed, words like "I am sorry to hear." are expressed. That there is "Active listening" and some expressions of concern perhaps are demonstrated. NOT!!!!!

This young lady did not even ask my name. She did not take one note. Only after I stated I expect a response form the store Manager on his return Tuesday did she begin to behave like she was even interested in what I said.

You would think on Tuesday and a conversation with the store manager things would begin to turn around. NOT!!!!!

I now have the misfortune of having an awful conversation with Anders Ekams. Mr. Ekams did not call me until about 6 PM on Tuesday evening and he called at my office after I specifically asked to be contacted before 4 PM. ( I normally leave at 4pm). Mr. Ekman also, did not communicate any concern or empathy for the experience I had in his store Saturday morning. Mr. Ekman's first concern was that I understand that "no one has ever complained about Rudy". Mr. Ekman's second concern was that 'your received your money I do not understand why you are complaining". Mr. Ekman did not listen nor do I believe he cared that my complaint was regarding the treatment I received and the manner that all of those individuals I spoke with did NOT once apologize for the behavior. That no one yet, including him once said anything to the effect that they understood my concern. I explained to Mr. Ekman that I expected an apology for one the 30 minute wait and inconvenience and two for the manner in which each person I encountered behaved including HIM!
I cannot believe I was speaking with a store manager that never once LISTENED to me. He spent the entire conversation repeating "but you got your money back so what is the problem". I explained I closed my account and will not shop at Nordstrom and his reply was. "That is you choice."

I believed I was clear with Mr. Ekman regarding my expectation for an apology from him and to date NOTHING!

With all the competition in your industry, I would think your company would try harder to please its customers. I am sure you can understand how frustrating this was, and I hope you are able to limit the number of consumers who have been forced to endure this sort of problem in the future.

To say the least, I have not returned to any of your stores, though I have told many people of my experience. I was a loyal customer for close to 20 years locally and many more years as a mail order customer before you opened stores locally. As a result of this experience, I have closed my account. Since word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising, I have told several people of my experience and they too have repeated the story.

Since your company is committed to customer service, I am confident you will want to resolve this issue quickly and thoroughly. I am asking that you treat your customer with more respect I look forward to receiving a response within 10 business days.
Sincerely,

I believe I am extremely valuable to your company based on my frequent purchases, and I usually spend $2000.00 each time I buy. If you could fix this problem, I think I'd be willing to pay even more.

I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well. The main reason I shop at your store is because it's the best.

Here's what I'd like to see happen:an apology and acknowledgement of the correct business protocol.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.