Dissatisfied employee

Posted Mon September 22, 2008 12:00 pm, by Michele R. written to Pizza Hut, Inc.

To Whom it may concern,

I started working at the Pizza Hut back in August of 2005. I was hired mainly because of my cleaning abilities, I am OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). The first two inspections we received afterwards, we were rated 100% on cleanliness. By January of 2006 I was promoted to shift leader starting out at $7.50/hr. It was not until March of 2007 that I received a $.30 raise. I have not received any other raises since then.

The manager who hired me was transferred to another store and the one who took her place turned the store upside down and backwards. He did not do a lot of the paper work he was supposed to be doing, I ended up doing most, if not all of the truck orders. I also was the one who put the truck away when it came in, paying very close attention to the expiration dates, FIFO did not always apply. This manager is no longer with the company because of deposit manipulations, however, during his time in the building he made another employee a shift leader and started him out at where I had to work up to. The other shift leader received a raise as well because the manager did show partiallity. The manager who is now in the building is extremely passive and the employees pretty much do what they want without much guideance from him.

Several months ago, I took pictures of the crap that is not done on a daily basis by the evening shift, one of the areas, we were marked off by the health inspectors and it has not be rectified to this day. I would have to start my day off by finishing what was not done the night before. I would do major cleaning jobs on equipment because I could not deal with the mold, slime and grease build up growing on them, but yet when I came in the next day, none of them would even be wiped off, maintained, and in approx. a weeks time, the grime would be back. I also took care of the landscaping and maintenance in this building.

I have not received a raise in over a year and when I brought it up to the area manager, he said he would look into it. So I was re-evaluated and was reported as JUST MEETING expectations, I average putting in 6 hours worth of work in 4, this is a grade concerning the entire store, which was graded as SVE (severly below expectations). Bottom line, I get judged as doing the same as all the others and it is because of them NOT doing their jobs that cost me MY raise and I am not happy about it at all. One of the shift leaders there has been passed around from one store to another, to another, to another and they all say the same thing about her, she is lazy, yet she makes $8.50/hr to do nothing, she is the one who did not have any pasta ready and missed a bunch of sales just because she did not feel like preparing any and I know for a fact that there was plenty of product in the freezer to make the sales. There have been many times I would have to spend time on the phone with customers who had complaints about the service they received during the two days I would have off. Many of them were tired of being told that all that was available was thin dough. They also got tired of calling up, being put on hold, and I even had one customer tell me she put her phone on speaker phone and the employees did not even address her call at all...the phone was on hold for over two hours, she did this two nights in a row. Another common complaint was that when they customers drove by the Pizza Hut that many of the employees would be outside and they would wonder who was minding the business if most of them were outside all the time.

I want the president of Pizza Hut to know just what is going on in his little store. This one can be a "cash cow" if treated properly, but it will not do anything as long as people don't care. I have since quit because I could not bring myself to lower my standards. I was being told that compared to other stores, ours was clean, I have pictures to prove, it is not clean, it is nasty and it is not being maintained. I have heard that many of the better workers have quit because they got tired of working with shift leaders who did nothing and so the hard work was beaten out of them, just as it has been done to me. I could not tell a new employee that if they do their best, they will be recognised for it because it would all be a lie. Customer Mania my aunt FANNY.

I would like to have my job back with a decent raise and work with people who DO care about customer mania.

by Michele R. Posted Wed September 24, 2008 @ 11:51 AM

As far as I am concerned, Pizza Hut should be able to be sued for
breach of contract. If you go to their website, it says right there
about how well people will be taken care of if they join the company.

I know my bridge is burnt there and I am o.k. with that, but it does
not lessen the pain of it all.

breach of contract by Jessica P. Thu September 25, 2008 @ 12:02 PM
by Katseyes Posted Tue September 23, 2008 @ 12:40 PM

I don't know how you survive on $7.50 or $8.50 an hour it sounds like
you deserve a lot more.

survival by Michele R. Wed September 24, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

by dulynoted (aka duttycalls) Posted Tue September 23, 2008 @ 8:14 AM

I believe that with your qualifications of committment and ability to
multitask you would be an asset to any company.
Put your resume out there to their competitors - they will recongnize
a good worker even if Pizza Hut does not.

finding another job by Michele R. Tue September 23, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

I wish you the best of luck! by Casmly Tue September 23, 2008 @ 10:56 AM

But on the other side of the coin (so to speak) by dulynoted (aka duttycalls) Tue September 23, 2008 @ 4:45 PM

by Anonymouse Posted Mon September 22, 2008 @ 5:48 PM

Michele,
From what you have written, I know that you can find a job with
another business with a decent wage and a good group of people to work
with--it may just not be with PH. It sounds like you have a wonderful
work ethic and that you can communicate with customers effectively and
positively. Don't limit your work options! Check out what's
available and start interviewing prospective employers. Best of luck!

Great response, and I agree completely! by RedheadwGlasses Mon September 22, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

by Bill R. Posted Mon September 22, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

Michele R.,

Donno and Suzie are right on the mark.

The only thing I could add is the suggestion to contact the
district/regional Human Resources Director and plead your case.

However, in doing so I would suggest you focus on your positives and
stay away from critizing other associates, managers and the condition
of the place you used to work.

Stop back and let us know how this comes out.

BillR.

That's what I would by ~Fiâi-la-âlea~ Mon September 22, 2008 @ 7:22 PM

by Donno Posted Mon September 22, 2008 @ 3:13 PM

If you quit, you are an ex-employee, not an employee. It sounds like
you are having second thoughts and may want your job back. However,
you are miserable with the way that location has been managed.

This is a *very* tricky situation. You are essentially complaining
about management, but you want management to give you the job a second
time. After you quit. I don't see this happening, to be quite
honest. Good luck though.

Whenever I disliked a job, I usually quit and never looked back. I
must admit I did try to obtain a job at a previous employer where it
was not a secret I had an issue with previous management. My
application was pretty much ignored, which in retrospect isn't
surprising. Even if an employee has a valid complaint, he/she may be
viewed as a problem.

wanting job back by Michele R. Tue September 23, 2008 @ 9:10 AM

At least the Domino's tastes better! :) by Chris M Thu September 25, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

by SuzieCat Posted Mon September 22, 2008 @ 2:17 PM

First, I have taken the liberty of emailing the site admin to have
your personal info removed.

Secondly, you do not make it clear if you were released, or
terminated.

Either way, I would say yo should move on to a different employer.

Your letter is well written and it is very obvious you care about the
entire store, not just your part of the job. You clearly care about
what is right and wrong, and you understand the point of cleanliness
and order.

I say if you have been going through this for years, with no changes,
they d not deserve an employee who cares the way you do. I hope you
find someplace where your work ethic is appreciated!

He quit by Eddie M. Mon September 22, 2008 @ 5:26 PM