PIZZA HUT REFUSES TO TAKE PERSONAL CHECKS

Posted Tue March 12, 2002, by Dan L. written to Pizza Hut, Inc.

I called Denver's main trunk line (303) 751-1111 to order dinner last night and I was told that paying by check was not an option.

It wasn't because I bounced a check - I was told that the Denver-area stores simply would not accept checks anymore. I was told "we lost too much money by accepting checks".

I smell a rat. I can't beleive that a company of your size and stature simply decided to refuse to accept payment by check. I think Pizza Hut has specifically targeted and penalized a black neighborhood and they are intentionally retailiating against that community. And even though I'm not black, I have to deal with the consequences of that heavy-handed, and very possibly racist policy.

Pizza Hut is going to lose even more money. I won't do business with them and I'll make sure to tell everyone I know. What an arrogant response. Surely Pepsi Corp. is big enough and smart enough to figure out a system to weed out the hot check writers.

I'm e-mailing the NAACP about this - Maybe you can explain your policies to them.

Here is how I would like you to address my complaint: 1 - Start taking checks.
2 - Hire operators who have something approaching a 3rd grade education.
3 - An appology to the community

Dan Lobnitz
University of Denver College of Law.