Misled and Wanting Out From Resorts International

Posted Mon January 28, 2013 12:00 pm, by Lou G. written to Resorts Condominiums International

Back in August/September of 2012 we were invited to Villas at Regal Palms, our home resort, in Davenport for a mini-vacation. To become eligible for a discount we had to attend a seminar regarding membership in RCI Time Shares which we agreed to do. We spent $3000.00 to join for several reasons, the reputation we have heard of regarding RCI, the units available, and certain benefits that were better that Interval International, which we were members of at that time. We met with a representative that was authorized to sell RCI and he was informative. Two things really attracted us. One was RCI had Hammock Beach resort in Palm Coast near us in Jacksonville. The other is that RCI had several Disney properties. Lets look at these individually. My wife, Laurie, and I generally do not roam far away from home, except for Maui, when we want to get away. Most of our trades for exchange have been in Florida especially near Orlando. We love Disney and were excited to hear that the Disney resorts were part of RCI. In fact a major selling point to us was that the rep told us that he uses Disney for his family quite a bit. There were NO RESTRICTIONS given to us on the use of the property. Up to now we had used Marriott products (which were very comfortable and roomy) in having family gatherings around Disney as Disney was not available to us in Interval International. So we thought this was going to be great. We booked Disney in early winter and before we ended the transaction, a disclaimer came up indicating that because of the proximity of our home unit that we could not book Disney property. I called RCI and that was the truth. Your rep that sold RCI never mentioned anything about that. If we knew we would have been satisfied staying with Interval because we love Marriott. RCI does not offer Marriott products. Hammock Beach resort is another unattainable time share. I have tried to enter available dates any time of the year and work around that but this resort is never available for booking, therefore, it should not even be listed on your Resort Directory. In the case of Disney, we were misled and falsely told that Disney would be obtainable. I addressed this issue in an e-mail on December 4, 2012 which was answered by K. Griffin Customer Communications Specialist RCI North America on December 5, 2012. I quote her response in part, "We appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced." First off it wasn't a misunderstanding, it is called a false statement to make a sale. I continue,".........We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property. However, RCI partners with affiliated resorts to ensure that they are up-to-date on our policies and procedures. Your comments have been forwarded to our Resort Operations representative to be shraed with the appropriate resort staff." Are you freaking kidding me. You collect $3000.00 and we join a reputable organization and based on the information a rep supplied we are now out the money and all that is gong to be done is that my concerns are going to be DISCUSSED with the appropriate resort staff. I do not think that is sufficient. Here is what needs to be done. You need to make suggestions to us on how you will satisfactorily resolve this issue. Speaking with your appropriate staff does nothing for the way we were misinformed and our money was taken. You may want to think about crediting us back as we have not used any points since joining and would be better off out of RCI after being "lied" to by your representative. As you know, you must accept full responsibility for the actions of your representatives because when they speak RCI, they are YOU to the individual purchaser. I also am retired from 34 years in the hospitality industry and know many vacationers and former clients that continue to travel and consult me for reputable hospitable companies to entrust their travel plans with. Prior to this experience, I heard all the good about RCI, now we are very disappointed and will do whatever necessary to get our money back if not staisfied to our expectations. I am prepared to go public with this issue if not communicated to our satisfaction within the following two weeks.

I want RCI to satisfactorily resolve this wrong. I want RCI to full credit our memebership of $3000.00 for a false statement made by a representative to sell your product.

by jeishere Posted Tue January 29, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

I have never heard a positive story about a time share, never. I just
don't get it...

Positive stories by kathleen m Tue January 29, 2013 @ 4:09 PM

More positive stories by DCGirl Tue January 29, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

I agree by RedheadwGlasses Wed January 30, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

Good point. stories =/= complete data. sometimes the stories are the exception to the rule by PepperElf Sat February 2, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

I agree by mrsdkm Thu January 31, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

by PepperElf Posted Tue January 29, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

i have to ask, as others have... did you read over the contract?

Remember - one of their ploys is to bring you on the fantastic
"vacation" and then sit you down for a long meeting where they talk-up
their product.

this is called "wearing the customer down".

it's how they get people to agree to stuff without reading the
contracts. who wants to read a contract after a long meeting? you
want to get out and have FUN!

which is why I never go on these things to begin with. i know what's
in store for me if I do.

Pfsst. I was married for 10 years. There's nothing these timeshare by Steve OH (IO) Tue January 29, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

personally that's why i never even go to them in the first place by PepperElf Sat February 2, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

by Casmly Posted Mon January 28, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Did you do any research on this company at all before handing over
your money? If I am looking at the correct company, they have a
deplorable rating with the BBB and their are loads of dreadful
complaints about them online.

Reasearch? Before Buying? n/t by McJohn Tue January 29, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

by tali Posted Mon January 28, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

When you read your contract were there any restrictions listed?
Perhaps you should go over that contract and see what it says and if
you have any options. As far as going public (I am prepared to go
public with this issue if not communicated to our satisfaction within
the following two weeks.) I think you already have. I have always
thought timeshares were a ripoff.