Extended Warranty = Extended Work

Posted Sun October 10, 2004, by Toby N. written to Sears, Roebuck & Co.

I would like to bring your attention to a complaint I have about the product quality at Sears Service Center. Specifically, I'm writing about my lawn mower in need of service. I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

I purchased a push self propelled lawn mower on 9/28/02 with the 3 year extended warranty. This year in May I had to use the warranty as my mower quit working. When I called in for service they told me that I could have a repair tech come out to my home at no additional charge and they could come out the same day. I was very pleased with the service I received from this service call. However when I had another problem with my lawn mower in September, I placed a call to 1-800-4-My-Home and spoke to a representative and told her I was having another problem with my lawn mower and that I needed a technician to come out. She then began to tell me that I needed to bring it in for service and that they changed their policy and do not come out to our homes free of charge anymore. I spoke with someone at the local service shop and they said that they would have to send it in to their shop in the Chicago area for repair and it would take a week to get there and a week to get back and a couple weeks for repair. I could not go that long without a lawnmower and since it was still operational I decided to keep using it until the end of the season. Today I called Sears to schedule a repair and they told me that my warranty ran out September 28th. I looked at my receipt to find out that I had a 3yr extended warranty and have coverage until 9/28/05. Then the rep began to tell me that the Manufactures warranty ran on 9/28/04 and that I could have had someone come out to my home to repair my lawn mower at no additional charge before that date. So since I was told incorrectly there isn't anything they can do for me now except to have me bring the lawn mower in to their facility that ships them out. In the middle of one stage of being transferred around to different people, I spoke to one gentleman that said even if they did change their policy that they should still have honored it with my purchase since I purchased it when their other policy was in affect.

I visit Sears, Roebuck & Co. less than once a month. On average, I spend more than $115 when I patronize your store.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: I would like to have a repair technician come out to my home and repair my lawn mower at no additonal charge since it was under manufactures warranty when I called in, in September. I would definitely think twice before spending money at your store again, and I don't think I can recommend Sears, Roebuck & Co. to my friends and family.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.