Late Fee for non-renewal?

Posted Sat July 29, 2017 12:00 pm, by Robert H. written to Sirius

I let my subscription run out because I didn't want to renew or I would have renewed when I was first asked. My service gets interrupted (routine and expected) because I didn't renew. However, I later receive a bill for $30.15 stating I owe a late fee for not renewing. I called and spoke to a representative who told me that I agreed to an "auto renewal" and that's why I am getting the bill. I tried to explain to him that I pay by check. I was told that doesn't matter. Everyone has to agree to auto renewal in order to have the service started. So even if I let my service contract run out because I don't want to renew, I have to pay a late fee because I didn;t renew? I was told yes. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. I was placed on hold for about 5 minutes and then connected with "Mark" in the Philippines who told me he could remove the fee if IU agreed to sign up for another year. So, instead of trying to help me with the fee issue, he is trying to sell me something I already told him I do not want. I then tried to explain to Mark that I do not want the service anymore which is why I let it expire. Mark then went into his marketing routine and asked me why I don't want the service anymore and that he would be happy to waive the fee if I were to just sign up again for another year. I couldn't believe this was happening. It was like I was speaking a different language or something. I still cannot understand why they just didn't' credit me the fee and be done with it? I had been a customer for a while and Mark even said that to me, but still would not give me the courtesy of crediting the fee, which I shouldn't even have to pay in the first place. Mark told me that he cannot do anything else and that I have to pay the fee if I do not want to renew. He then told me that it is my responsibility to call and cancel my service prior to the renewal period. At this point I was livid. I then said to Mark that there's nothing you can do and you're not going to help me? He replied yes sir that is correct. You must signup for new service for me to credit the fee or you have to pay for it. I then asked to speak with Mark's supervisor. Mark told me he is the supervisor and there is no one else to speak with. I then hung up. First, how do you force a customer to agree with a renewal fee just to join your service, especially when the customer is paying by check? Secondly, how can you treat any customer like this, let alone one who has been with your company for a number of years? I felt harassed by your representatives. I figured this would be a simple transaction due to a misunderstanding, but then I was put through such turmoil over $30.15 from a company that makes quite a bit of money off its customer's world wide.

Credit my $30.15 first and foremost. Train your representatives that customer service should always be the priority and the customer is always right. (Just because you say something in a pleasant and polite manner doesn't mean you're not being rude.) Change your policy to not force customers to "auto-renew" their service. If a customer wants to let their service run out, you should just cancel it automatically.

by Shaun J. Posted Sun July 30, 2017 @ 12:51 AM

You might want to refer to the Fair Debt Reporting and Collections
Act. These laws allow you to send a certified letter to the same
address as the billing address. Tell them that you 'dispute the
bill.' Tell them that per these laws, 'They have 60 days to either
provide you with a signed agreement, by you, that you would agree to
such charges or they must dismiss such charges and refrain from
contacting you further.'

That is it. Make sure you retain proof of sending the letter, as well
as to when it was sent. If the debt show up on any credit report, you
can have it removed.

by spunkyboy08 Posted Sat July 29, 2017 @ 3:23 PM

I looked up on their website regarding how to cancel your service, and
you have to call this number to do that...

Call 1-866-635-5020

This information is found on their website under help and support. The
phone number is found under account management.

It is up to the customer to cancel their membership.