Spirit Airlines Check-in

Posted Fri July 13, 2001, by Richard D. written to Spirit Airlines

I would like to bring to your attention a problem I encountered with your airline's airport check-in.

I have flown on business and personal trips for 35 years and never missed a flight.

On July 4, 2001 we arrived at Detroit Metro Airport at 6:40am for your 7:45am to Orlando and stepped in line at the curb to check our baggage in with the Spirit baggage handlers, as we always do at Northwest. After waiting in line for 15 minutes the baggage handler announced that all those taking a flight to Orlando should check-in at the inside counter.

We stepped inside and got in line for the counter check-in. The line snaked around several times - the area was mobbed. After about 10 minutes we noticed the line was hardly moving or not fast enough for us to get to the counter in time to make it to the gate on time. So my wife stepped up to the counter and told the agent that we were going to Orlando. The agent replied that the flight had been closed. My wife indicated to her that it was only 7:15. The agent would not give my wife a reason but would only tell her the next flight to Orlando was at 4:20pm. She would not give my wife the gate number because the flight was closed.

We quickly decided to grab our luggage and find the gate. The gate numbers are not posted at the counter and we could not locate any Spirit monitors in the airport. We ended up getting lost. We were lost about another 10 minutes. But with the HELP of a PILOT FROM ANOTHER AIRLINE we got back on track. We found the gate at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time to find that our flight was pulling out from the gate. My watch is always two to five minutes fast but I guess others must set their watches even further ahead.

So we rested and then proceeded back to the counter to see if we could slavage our trip. Instead of waiting all day for your 4:20pm Orlando flight we decided to take your 8:55am flight to Tampa. Then we were advised not only of the difference in fare but also of the administrative fee. We feel we missed the 6:45 Orlando flight due to no fault ours, but due to lack of good customer service on the part of the Spirit Organization in Detroit.

We just bought some property South of Tampa and we expect to make this trip on a regular basis. Previously we used Northwest Airlines. We would like a refund of $142.00 on each ticket for the reason stated above or for the small difference we will fly Northwest in the future.

Our ticket numbers are: 487 1042125312 6 & 313 0. The change receipt number is: 86233

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Richard S. and Sharon L Dettloff

To be honest, I've been very dissatisfied with your airline in the past.I seriously doubt that I will ever fly your airline again, and you can be sure I will urge others to avoid Spirit Airlines whenever possible.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: See above letter.

Here's a little about me: I've flown five times or less in the past 12 months, mostly for pleasure. I usually buy a discount coach ticket.

I hope you are able to address my concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon.