Improper handling of my account is costing me

Posted Thu August 27, 2009 12:00 pm, by Charlie D. written to Sprint Wireless

A Sprint Rep contacted me on my phone with all my information and informed me that my plan was being upgraded to 700 minutes plus an extra phone line for free. I never use over my 450 minute limit and I really have no use for an extra line. But he assured me several times that I would be paying the same price for everything as I am now (69.99)/450 plan and everything would stay the same including texting and data which he said it was all included. He even said he would waive the shipping charges and there's a 30 day trial.

Come next bill, the shipping charges were there and I was billed for 2 plans for 2 months ($450) + shipping. I was dubious the plan really existed as it appeared as if he just signed me up for two plans (the Everything 450 of my original phone AND the Share 700 of the new phone) so I took it up with Ecare explaining that I would have to return the phone if the plan wasn't as stated. David Pepe was really helpful and took off the shipping charges and changed the bill back to $80. So I thought the plan was legitimate.

Next bill, however, I was double billed again so I contacted ECare again and Sonora R. responded immediately and credited me with the 70 dollars for the next billing cycle and then explained to me it was an incorrect setup, that it should have been both phones on Share 700 plan and changed it thus. She also told me if I wanted to cancel the line, it would cost an ETF of $100 since 30 days in spite of the fact they had setup everything wrong in the first place.

Finally knowing what the plan really was, however, I saw that there was, in actuality, no data or texting included. So after just 2 days of changing over and having the texts and data charges ported over, the extra charges already amount to over $150 dollars. I called the call center and the cancellation representative said she could do nothing for me since it was past the 30 day trial. The only thing she could do was change my plan next cycle back to the 450 and cancel my phone with the inclusion of the $100 ETF. I thought this was a bit unfair, as they were the ones that made the mistake and setup the account incorrectly so I couldn't see the plan for what it was; so I asked to for a Supervisor.

I was forwarded to her Supervisor Catherine and explained all the changes that were being done to my account. She said there were no notes of what I claim I wanted (even though I still have copies of my e-mails plus a little common sense should have applied) and that I am responsible for all the fees being assessed and again, I can't have things change back until next cycle with all the fees as the 30 day trial had passed. So as of now, my texting and data are accruing daily with the ETF fee and I am expecting a bill of $600-1000 for a service that was only $70 to begin with.

This situation is all contributed to:
False claims of a salesman (whether intentional or not)
Improper setup of an account
The inability to properly fix the account on the first complaint
The limitation of the 30-day trial
And a hardline Cancellations Supervisor.

In summation, Sprint made the mistakes, and I am apparently the one who is supposed to pay up to fix them according the the customer care representatives that talked to me thus far. The "sorry for the inconvenience that our incorrect setup has caused, but you still have to have to pay our fees to have it fixed" e-mails were very nice, but unfair in my opinion. [I'm paraphrasing, but that is the gist.]

All I want is to have my original plan restored (Everything 450) for my HTC Touch Pro without all the extra fees including the ETF that accrued because of the false claims, improper setup/billing, and time limitation. I live near a Sprint outlet so I can even hand the extra phone in. As I have had good customer care experiences previously with the exception of this one time, I would be happy to go back to my normal billing and usage before all this happened.

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Thu August 27, 2009 @ 8:09 AM

Sounds like you were completely lied to. They should fix this 100%,
make it right, do whatever you want. What a bunch of obnoxious jerks.

"I want that in writing" - repeat to phone rep "I want that in writing" by The Original Nethead Thu August 27, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

You're absolutely right. n/t by RedheadwGlasses Thu August 27, 2009 @ 2:37 PM

by PepperElf Posted Thu August 27, 2009 @ 2:42 AM

sprint cannot legaly change your plan without your approval

to be honest you should have just said "no. leave my plan alone"

Yep by RowdyRetailer Thu August 27, 2009 @ 11:32 AM