Check Writing Policy

Posted Thu June 28, 2001, by Deirdre N. written to Target

I would like to bring your attention a complaint I have about the staff attitude/knowledge at your store, located in Waldorf, Maryland. Specifically, I'm writing about unknowledgable staff. I am extremely upset about this, and I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

I was in the Waldorf Target were I have shopped for the last two-years without any promlems before with writing a check. On this particular day in May 18,2001 I was making a purchase in the amount over $100.00. Which is my normal spending habits at this store every two-weeks. I was writing a check and presented my check along with my drivers license and car insurance card which shows my current address. My change of address card was at home.(Again I never was asked for this card before) I have never had a problem writing a check before and using the above information. The sales -clerk was rude and did not even scan the check or drivers lincense as other clerks have done in the past. He than rudely asked me if I had another method to pay, I told him no and could he please call the manager on duty, which he did and she came over and was just as rude as he was at the time. I explained to her that I have wriiten check here before with no problem and if they had changed there policy than it should have been stated or posted so that other customers would not be treated so badly. I had my two children with me at the time and did not want to cause any more confusion with this rude sales-clerk or manager. I went to the service desk and asked for the manager name and the lady gave me a bogus name. My check also has my current address and phone numbers already embossed on them. I spend over three-thousand dollars in Target a year they use to be my shopping head=quarter. I would generally shop there before any place else. I have not stepped foot in any Target store since this incident. I will show you checks that this store has accepted in the pass with the same information I presented that day.

I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well. In the past, quite frankly, I've been very dissatisfied with you. Usually, I visit your store more than 15 times per month. I spend more than $80.

Here's what I'd like to see Target do about this: I would like for Target to post their check acceptance policy and to train their employees on how to treat customers. They should have rules that are followed everyday and not when a new employee decides he is the boss and only his rules need to be followed.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.