Texas Roadhouse Grill is fabulously gluten free - even without a gluten free menu

Posted Sat January 1, 2011 12:00 pm, by Tamera M. written to Texas Roadhouse

In early December 2010 my family and I went to the Texas Roadhouse in Seaford, DE. I have Celiac disease, so eating out can be a challenge, but knowing that meat and vegetables are naturally gluten free, I just have to be careful what I eat with them.

Since my diagnosis with Celiac in July 2010, my family has not been able to eat out as much. When we do eat out, we generally go somewhere with a gluten free menu. However, we have always loved Texas Roadhouse. My five and eight year old each got a certificate for a free dinner because of their school achievements, so we decided to take the risk of going to your restaurant and just trying to stay gluten free.

I asked for no rolls on the table, and while she seemed surprised, the hostess nodded and showed us to our table. The waiter, Troy, saw that we had no rolls and said he would get us some. I explained that I could not have anything with wheat and had asked for no rolls.

I asked about the brand of sour cream used. Many sour creams have hidden gluten in them. He checked and said it was Daisey brand, which is one I know to be safe.

The waiter was very courteous and polite. He did his best to answer any questions we had, so much so that I have remembered his name almost a month later. I was able to enjoy a fabulous steak dinner and celebrate my children's achievements and do so without making myself ill.

Although I was hesitant to go somewhere without a gluten free selection, I was pleassantly suprised at the response I received when I exaplained I could not have wheat. I am very happy to be able to enjoy one of my favorite restaurants again.

I did stop and tell the manager what an enjoyable experience we had that night, but I wanted to share higher up as well. Thanks for the great meal!

by MA Cunningham Posted Tue January 11, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

Glad you let them know and that you found a place that will be your
new favorite. It's wonderful that they were so willing to go the
extra mile for you.

Personally, though, I think I would literally die if I COULDN'T eat
Roadhouse's hot rolls and cinnamon butter. That is my favorite part
of the meal! :)

Cross Contamination by Jofefina Thu January 20, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

by olie Posted Sat January 1, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

This is great feedback! I hope you print a copy of this letter and
use a stamped envelope to mail it to that location.

I didn't know that Texas Roadhouse provides meal certificates to
school kids. What a terrific way to both acknowledge achievement and
get customers in the door!

It's also great to know that you've done a lot to educate yourself in
such a short time. I must ask, though--why request "no rolls on the
table"? I can see being tempted with bread or rolls right in front of
me, especially with such a recent diagnosis.

I hope you can continue to find gluten-free items so that you can
control you disease. And enjoy great nights out with your kids!

No Rolls by Jo23 Mon January 10, 2011 @ 3:20 AM