The Check Gallery SCAM!!!

Posted Sat July 3, 2004, by Dana Z. written to The Check Gallery, Inc.

I'd like to bring to your attention a problem I encountered recently with the price and value at The Check Gallery, Inc..
I have never had a problem such as this in ordering checks from any other company. I simply filled out the coupon in the paper and sent it in with my payment, and received my checks. Not this time! And it will be the last time I order from your company.

I ordered 4 boxes of checks from The Check Gallery. My check reorder slip was from "Classic Checks", and I sent that in along with payment of $23.85 and their order form. This was payment for 4 boxes of duplicate checks. I received only 2 boxes of checks, so I called to inquire. The people were not helpful. They said I ordered my last checks from them, and that the amount I sent was for new customers only. As it turns out, Classic Checks (www.classicchecks.com) is a part of The Check Gallery. How am I supposed to know that? So they told me I would only get 2 boxes of checks. The next day, I received an invoice telling me that the amount I sent did not cover the order, and that I needed to submit $9.55 which included a $2.00 service charge. For what????? I already paid for shipping on 4 boxes of checks and only got 2. I paid for 4 boxes of checks and only got 2. I did not know that Classic Checks was the same as The Check Gallery, or I would not have sent in the order to them.
If there was a problem with the order, they should have returned my payment along with an explanation. This is a total scam! I looked at my reorder saying Classic Checks, and sent an order to The Check Gallery. Then, they cash my check, send me 1/2 of my order, then want more money plus a service charge. I think this falls under deceptive trade practices. Needless to say, I was quite upset as a result of this.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: I want The Check Gallery to send me the 2 additional boxes of checks that I ordered, and credit off the invoice they sent me for the additional $9.55 including the service charge. If I known they would charge me this much for the checks, I would not have ordered them. As they cashed my check and processed the order, I was not given the option of knowing that there would be additional costs or that I would not receive what I ordered. Instead, they cashed my check, sent half of my order, and want me to pay more, and I was not given the opportunity to cancel this order due to the discrepancy.

Because of this, I will avoid doing business with The Check Gallery, Inc. at all costs in the future, and I definitely will urge others to avoid it at all costs.

I am requesting that this complaint be sent to the Federal Trade Commission, as this is very deceptive and unfair.

I hope you are willing to address my concerns. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.