Advertised special was news to department manager

Posted Tue February 14, 2017 12:00 pm, by Brenda B. written to Tops Markets, Inc.

On Monday, February 13, I stopped in to my local Tops Market in Westvale Plaza. In particular, I was interested in purchasing the NY Strip steaks on sale for Valentine's Day at $6.99 per lb.

I didn't see any in the meat case, so I asked an employee who tried to hand me a whole pork loin. When I told him that wasn't the item, he just shrugged and said you must be out. I inquired at the service desk, and the meat manager was called. He had no knowledge of the special, even though it was on the front page of your weekly flier. He said "no one told me, so we didn't order any".

I don't care that I didn't get my steaks. I will buy them at a Wegmans or Price Chopper. However, the customer service was appalling. That the meat manager had no knowledge of the principal advertised special for the week is simply incredible.

Communicate with your employees and department managers so that they can actually order the items that you are advertising in your weekly fliers.

by Sandy A. Posted Sun April 30, 2017 @ 12:30 AM

I can understand the running out of an item. It happens! The manager
not being aware of the items in the circular is poor communication
with his upper management. That too happens! The store should have
offered you a rain check on the unavailable flyer product. That would
have been fair.

by PepperElf Posted Wed February 15, 2017 @ 10:50 PM

Although to be fair, in most companies fliers are planned out in
advance regardless of stock on hand. While many companies may have the
desired stock available, that doesn't mean they can't run out or have
other customers buy it up (especially if it's on sale).

Not to mention ... steaks the day before Valentine's day. I wouldn't
be surprised if it sold out fast. Steak and love do go hand in hand
sometimes.