Tracfone activation

Posted Mon December 28, 2009 11:54 pm, by Colin E. written to Tracfone Wireless, Inc

I purchased a new phone for my daughter for christmas and when I went to activate the phone on-line and transfer the number from her existing Tracfone phone, I was directed to call customer service. I called customer service and after some considerable time, and after being transfered to three different departments I was told that the sale had not been regestered and that I had to go back to the store to get the product re-scanned. Tried to talk to a supervisor and was put on hold and after about an hour total on this call my battery gave out and I lost the call.
So drove a 50 mile round trip the next day and Walmart exchanged the phone for a new one, scanned the new phone and sent me on my way - Very happy with the way Walmart handled this, but not happy to have to drive 50 miles and waste almost 3 hours of my time.

On getting home I went on-line to transfer the existing Tracfone number and activate the new phone and received a case number - why I have no idea, as I did manage to do this once before and it is just a matter of entering the code numbers provided by the Tracfone website.
Anyway, the message I get when I enter the case number says that it could take up to 10 business days to transfer the number, they are calling it a "port process". Yet their site says 24 hours to update with a new phone and an existing tracfone number.
I think I must be unlucky because I have had a total of 8 tracfones and in every case except one I have had big problems getting them activated, and always ended up having to call the help line where they all speak English with a very strong Indian accent and are often hard to understand. This I find very frustrating, these people do not always understand the context of what is being said.
This company offers very good phones at very inexpensive prices, which work very well, but their customer service and technical support must rank among the worst in the world.
All I want is this phone activated so my daughter can use her christmas present, and as usual, trying to get this done is becoming a nightmare which is taking up far to much of my time.

Thre is no reason why this phone could not have been activated on-line, so I would like someone at Tracfone to step outside the box and get this done with a sense of urgency. To get it activated on the 29th December would be great because then she could use her new phone (which is a camera phone) on New Years eve.
Just in case anyone from Tracfone reads this the case number is 1016323807

by Chadg Posted Tue December 29, 2009 @ 6:15 AM

Did you buy a phone that uses a different technology than your
previous one? If you are familiar with cellular systems, there are two
major systems in use today, GSM and CDMA. Tracfone offers both types,
often indistinguishable from each other.

Normally, transferring a number is a simple process, but if you buy a
phone with a different technology, it gets complicated. Tracfone buys
and resells service from many national carriers, Verizon, AT&T,
Tmobile, etc. If your new phone uses GSM, and your old one CDMA, its
similar to porting from AT&T to Verizon, this can take up to a week to
do.

Poor Customer service is NEVER acceptable, but i dont think they are
giving you any run around here, bear with them and you will hopefully
be all set by the end of the week.