making correction to misspelled name on ticket

Posted Wed December 20, 2006 1:06 pm, by james k. written to United Airlines

On Nov. 29 I made reservations at United.com for my wife (regina pally) and myself to fly to NY on Jan 16th. After I had paid for the tickets- I got a notice that the freq flyer number did not match the name, I noted that I had inadvertently typed my name as James Korbj rather than James Korb. I called United premier customer service and was told they were unable to help me, that I needed to talk to united.com at 1 800-589-5582. I waited for over 30 minutes twice on 11/30 without getting through to the 800 number.
I sent an e-mail to customer relations on 11/30 and have not received a reply except for automated instant reply.
I got through to United.com on Dec. 6th and after much discussion (they initially wanted to charge me $100) I was told that they would make the change to my name and add my frequent flyer number to the reservation.
I checked the reservation on Dec. 10th and found that that it was unchanged. I called United customer service and was told that it was in progress and might take 3-4 days to make the change.
I called United.com again Dec 16th and after a phone call of over 30 minutes, I was told that the problem was fixed- my name was changed and correct freq flyer number attached.
I again e-mailed customer service at United.com on 12/17/06 and have not gotten a response.
Today the reservation is unchanged I have spent many hours on this matter and have been told twice by United.com that problem was fixed.

At a minimum, I feel you should correct the problem and Upgrade my wife and I to first class for this trip.

by veryverygood Posted Thu December 21, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

There is no excuse for United forcing you to spend hours on the phone
to fix a simple problem. I strongly recommend you file a complaint
with the Department of Transportation Consumer Protection Division.
You can email them at airconsumer@dot.gov.

Good Idea by S. Brown Thu December 21, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

This Poster by Harleycat Fri December 22, 2006 @ 8:04 AM

by Firebrat Tracy Posted Wed December 20, 2006 @ 7:54 PM

Dude!

You are lucky you got them to change it. Some airlines will fight with
you about it and want you to pay the 100.00 fee, as you said.

It was your mistake, and granted, it shouldn't have been such a chore
to fix, but come on - two upgrades???

Yeah, good luck with that!

Oh - and just because the name isnt corrected in the record that YOU
can see, doesn't mean it's not corrected in their system. They likely
just documented the record, which would not reflect an acutal name
change on the physical record that you are able to view on
United.com.

It's SOP for them to do this.

Relax, it's fine. But, seriously, give up on the upgrade request -
that's just WAYY too over the top.

by S. Brown Posted Wed December 20, 2006 @ 1:33 PM

Oh come on - - you typed your name wrong. I agree that United should
be able to correct this problem but your request to have two tickets
upgraded to first class because of your typing error is ridiculous.

No Way by Bill R Wed December 20, 2006 @ 5:43 PM