Total Incompetence from UPS

Posted Thu September 6, 2012 12:00 pm, by Michele R. written to UPS

I ordered a textbook for my son that was being shipped from Asia. It was to be an express package and delivered between 8/29 and 8/31. On 8/31, I received an email notification stating that there had been a problem with the flight. Later that same day, I got another email saying the problem was resolved and my package was en route. I checked the online tracking info and saw that the delivery was still set for "end of 8/31/12." As the day went on, I realized that it was physically impossible to get from India to NY in the timeframe allotted and contacted the shipper of the package, He told me UPS's info was clearly not updated and the package would not be delivered until 9/4. Unfortunately, my son was leaving for college on 9/1, so the delivery address would then be wrong. The shipper contacted UPS and changed the delivery address so the package would instead go directly to my son at college. He advised me to call from my end, too, to confirm that they had the information and the package was being rerouted, which I did.

On the evening of Tuesday, 9/4, I received an email confirming that the package had been delivered and "left on porch." I went to my front door and there it was. I immediately called UPS and spoke with the most incompetent representative imaginable. When I told her the whole story and that this package needed to be redelivered ASAP, she checked her system and told me, "we did confirm that there was a change made to the delivery address, but we never confirmed that we would deliver it there." When I challenged that statement, she told me the decision on whether or not to deliver it would be that of the receiving UPS location. She also told me it was undeliverable because it was going to a PO Box, which it was not. I finally insisted that I speak with her supervisor and she said, "you can hold for a supervisor if you want to hear her tell you the same thing." I did eventually get a supervisor who confirmed all info and said he would have someone from my local UPS contact me in the morning.

Yesterday (Wednesday) morning, I heard from Kathy at the Nanuet, NY office. She told me her system had no information about any address change at all and they were not aware there had been any problem. Kathy agreed to pick the package back up from my home and reroute it to the school in NJ. I gave her all the new delivery information and left the package back on my front porch. When I returned home from work last night, the package was gone, but the online tracking system still showed no updated information.

This morning, I looked at the tracking info again and, to my dismay, saw a message stating that "customer refused delivery" and that they were contacting the shipper regarding disposition of the package. I immediately called UPS, selected "domestic" and still was connected to an overseas representative. I told her I really needed to speak with someone in my local Nanuet office and did not want to spend any more time talking to anyone else. She made every effort to try to get involved with my situation, but I knew from previous conversations that I needed someone local. She finally agreed to send a message to my local office to have them contact me. She took my name and address and then, thinking she was clever, pulled up my package info and proceeded to tell me the status that I already knew. Then she noted that it was an international package and, rather than doing what I'd requested, she transferred me to an international representative!

The first thing I did was ask where the latest rep was located and she told me, "the Americas." Clearly that was intended to give me the impression that I was speaking with someone in the US. I asked again for a specific country to which I was speaking and was told it was Guatemala. I told her that I wanted nothing but for her to get me connected to someone in Nanuet, NY. She took my tracking information, again advised me of all the information I already knew and said she could send a message if I wanted. I told her to go ahead and then hung up and Googled "UPS Nanuet."

I called the UPS hub in Nanuet, which number I got from the local UPS store, and I actually got Kathy, the person who had called me to arrange to pick my package back up. She told me she was working on my situation and had actually written up a new label with a new tracking number for the package. When the driver picked it up, he had to use some sort of code and entered the customer refusal data. The problem now is that they did not affix the new label when they picked it up and the package is currently unaccounted for. I am waiting for Kathy to call me back with an update

I would like UPS to FIND MY PACKAGE and DELIVER IT TO THE CORRECT LOCATION. Is that really too much to ask?

by fairywithfangs Posted Fri September 7, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I ship internationally pretty regularly. At least 3-5 times a week.
And let me tell you, even with the "express" mail option, it is pretty
hit or miss with those delivery dates. I am actually extremely
impressed they got it so close to what they originally said it would
be. The reason why it is so tough to get accurate dates is for the
exact reason yours got messed up. Flights get delayed or missed or
weather or customs is backed up. SO MANY FACTORS!

Also, they did - in fact - ship it to the correct address. It can be
REALLY difficult for UPS to re-route a package, it depends on how far
along it is, if it is fairly close to the address, then yes, they can
not guarantee the change.

Honestly, they went over and beyond if you ask me. I deal with UPS
and USPS daily and this was actually - really good service - usually
once they deliver it is in your hands if you wanted it to go someplace
else.

There was always the option of you re-sending the package to your son
and affixing a brand new label with the (new) correct address.

"re-mailing" was the only way I could get some items back when I was Navy by PepperElf Sat September 8, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

by RedheadwGlasses Posted Fri September 7, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I don't see where people are getting the idea that she ordered the
book on 8/31, only that 8/29-8/31 was the expected delivery date. She
could have ordered this in July.

still by McJohn Fri September 7, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Plus I'm not sure "express delivery" comes with any real guarantees when ordering from overseas by PepperElf Fri September 7, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

There aren't - even with the higher by fairywithfangs Fri September 7, 2012 @ 9:37 PM
by spunkyboy08 Posted Thu September 6, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

You order a textbook online for your son, & the package had to be
delivered to his college dorm by September 1st, & the delivery date
was between 8/29 and 8/31. Then you indicate in your complaint the
problems you had having that textbook delivered to him.

Why on earth did you wait until towards the end of August to order a
textbook to be delivered to your son's college dorm... especially a
book being shipped from Asia? Why did you not order the textbook
earlier so if there were problems, he still would have received it?
That boggles my mind.

Last minute.... and then complain by sarahsmile Fri September 7, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

She paid a premium for express service by LadyMac Fri September 7, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

"should have" doesn't mean airlines cannot have delays by PepperElf Fri September 7, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

by PepperElf Posted Thu September 6, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

The problem you're facing is that sometimes things like this happen.

I know you want to say "DELIVER IT TO THE CORRECT LOCATION", but you
also changed the "correct location" after it had been shipped.

It's sometimes more difficult to do than you realize. I took the ball
on an issue like that were I worked - an item we'd sent off for work
was being shipped to the customer vs back to the store... only it was
the wrong address. (our fault on that)

The shipper had to contact UPS for us and try to pull the package back
- and on the day of delivery. So we had to accept there was a chance
that it wouldn't work. Luckily for us it did, but ... it's not always
the case.

What's interesting is ... you say they said it was "undeliverable"
because of a PO box. If your son is in a dorm, then this may be a
valid statement, since many dorms DO have similar boxes for students
and might not have valid delivery addresses for shippers such as UPS.

Actually it was similar for me when I was military - I had a valid
address, but UPS & FedEx couldn't deliver to us.

So the problem may be simply that, despite your claims on how
incompetent they are... if you insist that they deliver to a college
campus address, there is a chance that you are indeed insisting they
deliver where they cannot.

Which would perhaps then prove the point they were trying to make
perhaps, when it proves to be undeliverable...

by petgiraffe Posted Thu September 6, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

If it was really that important that it get to your son without delay,
why not take the package that was delivered to you and send it on to
him yourself, instead of deal with a company that caused you so much
woe in the first place? He'd probably have the book in hand today.

by McJohn Posted Thu September 6, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Your son was set to leave for college on 9/1 and you ordered a book
that was to be delivered on 8/31?? And it was coming from Asia??

That doesnt leave much room, next time plan ahead.

indeed. it's always best to leave room for errors if it's that important n/t by PepperElf Thu September 6, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Let me clarify by Michele R. Sat January 19, 2013 @ 11:34 AM