Dangerous Vicks Vaporizer Problems

Posted Mon February 25, 2002, by Jason S. written to Vicks

A problem with your company's safety compelled me to write. The product I am referring to is Vaporizer. This experience has left me feeling unbelievably angry.

About a year and a half ago, we purchased one of your company's vaporizor products for use in our son's room. Although the product seemed to work well, there were always black flakes in the water after use that were not mentioned in the user manual. I assumed since it was working that this was not a problem though and continued using the product. One night, we found the unit was spewing smoke into the room instead of water vapor. We quickly disconnected the unit and attempted to return it the next day to Toys R Us where we had purchsed it.

They informed us that we could not get our money back, even though the unit was clearly defective and a safety hazard. Instead, we were given another identical unit, with no box or instructions whatsoever.

We were afraid to even use this new unit at first, but eventually did use it again. Again, we found black flakes in the water after every use. After about the 20th time that we used the unit, it again was putting out smoke rather than water vapor.

Don't expect me to buy from you in the future. It's unlikely that I would. Don't count on a recommendation from me.

Here's what I think you should do: I would like Vicks to investigate this product, and potentially issue a recall. In either case, I would like some way to get a refund for our purchase price, and Toys R Us seems unwilling and quite unfriendly to work with us on any of this.

Thanks so much for considering my complaint. I hope to hear from you soon.

by Alicia S. Posted Wed April 24, 2013 @ 6:31 AM

We have had the black flakes the whole time we have had it, I thought
it was our well water because we live on a farm. Our 6 month old woke
up at 4 this morning as I was rocking her smoke srarted coming out of
the vaporizer that soon started glowing bright orange, the vaporizor
was on fire from the inside! I
The fire inside went out before I could even unplug it but it still
smelled so bad. I can't believe this happened to us...

by christi m. Posted Sat October 2, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

I have been finding black flakes in our vaporizer that I use for my 5
month old baby. I took it apart today and the flakes seem to be coming
off of one of the metal parts inside and the wires were black. No
doubt that it would have started smoking like yours did very soon. I
plan on calling vicks to complain this week. Thanks for posting.

by Keith C. Posted Sun March 28, 2010 @ 2:54 AM

This same exact scenario just happened to us. We have been using this
Vicks vaporizer off and on over the past couple of months. It seemed
to work fine but I guess I was a little uneasy with the fact that
there was no on/off switch.

Anyway, at midnight our fire alarm went off in my 18 month old's room
where the vaporizer was running. My first thought was that the steam
set it off, but as soon as I opened the door, you could clearly tell
it was smoke and putting off a terrible odor. We immediately
unplugged it and took our son out of the room. Thank God our fire
alarm worked. This product needs to be re-called.

dangerous vicks vaporizor problems by Risa B. Wed December 28, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

Vick's Vaporizer creating black flakes and smoke - DECEMBER 2012 by kamyan Y. Sun December 16, 2012 @ 11:00 PM