TracFone Return Issue

Posted Tue June 25, 2002, by Tim M. written to Wal-Mart

I would like to bring your attention a complaint I have about the exchanges and returns at your store, located at Amherst, NH. Specifically, I'm writing about exchanges. I am extremely upset about this, and I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

Last week I purchased a TracFone prepaid cellular phone and 30 minute calling card from the Amherst, NH Wal-Mart store. Activating the phone has been a nightmare. TracFone advertises 24x7 customer support, but I have managed to speak to a human being ONCE.

Since I haven't been able to activate the TracFone, I brought it back to the store thinking I could return it. I was wrong.

I had to wait at the return desk for almost 20 minutes waiting for someone to help me. The cashier had to leave the register and go walking off through the store to find someone that could "help" me.

I explained my problem to the person from electronics (I didn't get his name), who called the assistant store manager. They spoke for several minutes, then the electronics rep proceeded to start trying to make calls from the TracFone. (Which wasted more of the minutes I've paid for but can't use) This was a waste of my time since I had already tried these steps before I walked into the store.

In the end, I was told "...it's not our policy to return TracFones." I don't know whether this is a store or corporate policy, but it isn't mentioned anywhere (not near the phones, not on any signs, and nobody told me when I bought the phone). I wish someone had told me that before I'd bought the phone, since I would have thought twice about it.

I would definitely think twice before spending money at your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well. In the past, quite frankly, I've been very dissatisfied with you. 3-5 times per month. $51-$80.

Here's what I'd like to see Wal-Mart do about this: At the very least the return policy on electronic goods such as the TracFone should be very clearly marked near somewhere near the phones.

If you could help me get through to someone at TracFone, I would greatly appreciate it, since I'm stuck with this phone that I don't want. If I can't get it to activate, I can't be sure it'll work when I need it.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.