excessive force was used on me and my children at walmart

Posted Fri October 4, 2002, by Connie S. written to Wal-Mart

I would like to bring your attention to a complaint I have about the experience at your store, located at 515 commerce drive bluefield va store #1763. Specifically, I'm writing about safety. I am extremely upset about this, and I hope you are able to resolve this situation.

I have wrote several letters to Wal-Mart and havent recieved any response. I guess Wal-Mart stores doesnt care about the bad name their security officers are creating for them. My children were abused by a Wal-Mart security officer as well as myself. I was in the wrong in taking from their store, but my babies did nothing, and what i did, didnt deserve the punishment that the security officer gave me. I was intentionally harmed by this man and so were my children. He was not a police officer and had no rights to harm a human being. Wal-Mart may stand up and protect their own, lie and cover up what happened 10-01-02, but i know what happened and sooner than latter everyone has to answer to what they have done. There is nothing in my mind that tells me what went on was right. I have thought and thought about it over and over and my conclusion is that it was wrong and no one deserves to be treated that way. I will continue to wait for a response from someone. You wouldnt believe how something like this can change your life, for the worse. Im not the same person i was that day, neither are my children. Someone is responsible for what happened and it isnt me no matter what Wal-Mart and their security say. That day was a nightmare that just hasnt stopped. I relive it every day i wake up. Their is no good excuse for me taking those things from that store #1763, and i am truly sorry for what i had done, I made a terrible mistake and have learned from it, believe me i learned in a big way. So did my children, mother and grandmother who had done nothing wrong. Abuse isnt right under any circumstances, their are always alternatives to violence.
I teach my two boys not to hit girls or woman, what an example that man set for my children that could remain in their minds forever.
I seriously doubt that I will ever buy from your store again, and I will urge everyone I know to steer clear as well. In the past, quite frankly, I've been very dissatisfied with you. I usually visit 1-2 times per month. I usually spend $51-$80.

Here's what I'd like to see Wal-Mart do about this: I am in the process of hiring a attorney to represent me, The only thing i could think to ask of them at this time is to teach their security how to handle people, ecspecially women and children. Shoplifting is a petty theft, and did not require such excessive force used. I now know how Rodney King felt the day he was assualted so badly. Treat others the way you would exspect them to treat you.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.